MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Default 22.5 WSM on the way. Did I go too big?

I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I usually cook for 5-6 sometimes larger parties. I was leaning toward this one for whole packer briskets and still have room for a couple of beer can chickens. Now I'm not sure since some say its a fuel hog.

Any peeps have both your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

IMO, better to be moderately oversized for your everyday needs than drastically undersized for your occasional needs.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

You can always buy the charcoal ring for the 18.5" WSM to reduce the amount of charcoal needed for shorter cooks. It's rare to hear some say "I wish I had bought a smaller pit" but you hear "I wish i had a bigger pit" all of the time.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Interesting idea with the smaller ring, would that also do better for low and slow cooks that don't need massive cooking times?
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Jason TQ

Yeah you can buy the smaller charcoal ring or just make one out of expanded metal or use fireplace bricks to make a smaller area for the charcoal. You might could have gotten by with the 18.5, but the extra size of the 22.5 is really nice. You made the right choice

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Better to have and not need vs. need and not have!
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I use a 14" X 6" homemade expanded ring in my 22.5" That is about the size of the 18.5" WSM ring, but it is a little taller. It is good for two things... 1) Smaller cooks where you still want to load up and ignore it until done. 2) Smaller (but more frequent) charcoal loads to keep temps lower. Since it allows you to pack tight with less charcoal, it is more efficient this way than just throwing less charcoal in the large ring.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

I have several of both,

The 22 uses a lot more charcoal and I like the 18 inch ones because I can put several in my truck and not have to take my tonneau cover off. The middle section is about 3 inches too tall to be able to transport it without taking my tonneau cover off.

Get or make a small ring like others said and you will save yourself a lot of money in charcoal.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Fwismoker

Nothing wrong with making a mini wsm for smaller cooks and your Big WSM for bigger cooks.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

Had an 18" for a year and sold it to upgrade to the 22", you will appreciate it for Whole Packer Briskets (as you said) and the ability to lay out full slabs of ribs without using a rib rack.

I just ordered a Humphrey's BB Cube....so bigger is always better

Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

That's Funny Right Thar I Don't care Who You Are ......

Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

It would just be a shame to not be able to cook packer briskets because your cooker is too small. I think you made a good choice.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I honestly don't find them to be too bad on fuel. If you are going for a shorter (under 7hr burn) cook, a ring of fire/fuse will get you there no problem using hardly any compared to filling the thing with coals.

Whenever I show anybody how little my 22.5 uses when I set it up for cooks like this, they can't believe it.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I constantly wish I had a 22.5" and it's only my wife and me here most of the time.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
bstuk
Got Wood.

I also made an expanded steel ring for my 22.5" about 14 inches in diameter and use it almost every time. I feel it burns a lot better due to the extra airflow.