Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk


Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Thread Tools
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Join Date: 02-25-13
Location: Pembroke, Bermuda
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Genesis Silver B new legs

In Bermuda a Spirit is $900. I found this old Genesis on for $100. I just had to put a little work into it. Normally I cook with charcoal, however when I come home for lunch I don't have enough time to get a load of coals going, so I use the gas grill to cook my lunch.

It has a bit of rust, the casters were falling out. Here is a quick fix.

Parts I used to make the new legs:

1 36 inch piece of square tubing with an inside diameter of 1-1/4
4 1/4 inch 3-1/2 long stainless steel bolts
8 stainless steel washers for the 1/4 bolts
4 stainless steel locking nuts.
1 can of spray paint

These grates and flavorizer bars are so rusty they are falling apart. The grates flex down when i try to flip a burger.


I used a plastic paint scraper and a wire brush to clean it up. The igniter had rusted out, so I put a new one in.


New warming rack, basket, flavorizer bars, grates. I used the porcelain coated flavorizer bars with stainless steel cooking grates. Initially the basket was a bit short. I bent the prongs out so it would fit correctly. It swings like it should.


I picked up a 36 inch piece of square tubing with an inside diameter of 1-1/4 at the hardware store for $5. I marked where I wanted it cut and took it to a metal shop. They cut it for $6. I used flat black spray paint to paint it because it was only $4, while glossy was $12. I then used 2 u-bolts to hold it in place and marked where I wanted my 2 bolts. I removed it to drill the two holes. I then used the u-bolts to hold the new leg in place while I drilled the holes into the old legs. This was I didn't have to worry about my measurements or angles being wrong.


I used the u-bolts to hold the 2 new legs together while I drilled the holes. This way they will be identical, no drill bit walking. You can see I have inserted the caster inserts on the right side already. It was a bit tight, so I used by crescent wrench as a hammer. Light tapping did the trick.


Final coat of spray paint. I did it this was so I didn't get paint everywhere and I didn't have to turn them. I just used 2 bic pens and did a clove hitch to hold them up.


This is how the bottom looked when I was done.


Lamb kabobs. MMMMMMMM

El_Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts