The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
akaJonny
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default PBC - the barrel cooker

I'm new to BBQ and cookers and was looking for something on the easy side of things to begin this cooking/smoking journey. I was reading reviews at Amazingribs.com and the Pit Barrel Cooker received a great review. I reached out to the owner and received some great feedback as well. My question I'm hoping everyone can help me with is this; the cooker maintains a steady temperature of 300 degrees. The 300 degree temp seems to contradict the low and slow cooking/smoking method. Does anyone have experience with this vertical cooker and is 300 degrees an acceptable method of cooking all our favorite foods?
akaJonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
JazzyBadger
Babbling Farker

300 degrees is fine. It's referred to as "Hot and Fast" instead of Low and Slow. There is a different cooking process involved with both styles of cooking, but both styles will give you great results. Hot and Fast does tend to give you quicker results obviously.

Two cookers on my wish list is a Kamado style pit, and a P.B.C.

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaJonny View Post
Does anyone have experience with this vertical cooker and is 300 degrees an acceptable method of cooking all our favorite foods?
Yes to both

take a look around Q-Talk or use the Google search near the bottom of the page. It searches just this site. You'll find lots of threads on the PBC. Also, search for "hot and fast" and you'll find lots of threads about cooking at 275 and higher. Lots of us do it.

I've only done a few cooks on my PBC but I am very happy with the results. It really does a great job, especially on chicken.

You can adjust the temp my opening or closing the intake at the bottom of the barrel. It is easy to do but requires a screwdriver.

Another option would be to build a UDS, which would give you more cooking space and also complete control over temps.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Default PBC-serial recommender

Buy it. You'll love it.

I use mine mainly ribs, brisket, chicken. But when it's through I insert the grate and use remaining coals for meatloaf cupcakes.

It's the right size and works fantastic. Search the previous posted threads watch the online videos at PBC website. It will sell itself

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I am chinese in Beijing,China
When I talk low & slow smoking, all think me crazy.
I find 225 is critical for brisket. It will be tender.
If smoking brisket at 300F, it will taste as rubber

For chicken or pork, 300F is good enough, no difference with 225F.
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post

Lots of guys cook brisket at 275+, including me, and they come out fine. The key is to cook the brisket until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. When cooking hotter this is usually at a higher internal temp, but not always.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I am also Chinese and have cooked both hot and fast and low and slow. Its up to the cook and what they prefer. There is a old sane don't knock it unless you try it.

These days I prefer hot and fast due to the limited time I have. I prefer to sleep and at the same time prefer to spend time with my little boys, rather then watching the BBQ or tending fire.

As well there are a lot of Texas pitmasters that do Hot and Fast and there briskets are one of the best. --> Franklins BBQ and John mueller BBQ.

woodpelletsmoker give hot and fast a try. Brisket comes out excellent.

Search Bluedawgs and barbefunkoramaque hot and fast brisket. Great results.

Unread 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaJonny View Post
I'm new to BBQ and cookers and was looking for something on the easy side of things to begin this cooking/smoking journey. I was reading reviews at Amazingribs.com and the Pit Barrel Cooker received a great review. I reached out to the owner and received some great feedback as well. My question I'm hoping everyone can help me with is this; the cooker maintains a steady temperature of 300 degrees. The 300 degree temp seems to contradict the low and slow cooking/smoking method. Does anyone have experience with this vertical cooker and is 300 degrees an acceptable method of cooking all our favorite foods?

Welcome to the forum and to BBQing

I just purchased the PBC probably 2-3 weeks ago and have had nothing but great results. Lamb and pork ribs come out excellent. Chicken is WOW. Sausages come out really moist. First Pulled pork will be this weekend and maybe the following weekend will be brisket. Trying to score the Costco Prime Brisket that is going around here in Southern California.

Do a search on PBC or Pit Barrel Cooker and you will find some very good posts.

Unread 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
ssv3
is One Chatty Farker

Go for it and you won't be dissapointed. I've had mine for 2 months now and love it. I've cooked brisket, ribs, chicken, whole turkey, kabobs, fish, burgers etc with excellent results. The average temp on mine settles at 275* and as Ron L said just play with intake to adjust temps. I loosed up my intake screw a tad bit and open and close as needed depending what I want to cook. Low and slow is fine but I'm starting to really like the results with hot and fast. The PBC is sort of in a league of it's own. It's basically in between grilling and smoking IMO.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
ssv3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDaddio View Post
Welcome to the forum and to BBQing

I just purchased the PBC probably 2-3 weeks ago and have had nothing but great results. Lamb and pork ribs come out excellent. Chicken is WOW. Sausages come out really moist. First Pulled pork will be this weekend and maybe the following weekend will be brisket. Trying to score the Costco Prime Brisket that is going around here in Southern California.

Do a search on PBC or Pit Barrel Cooker and you will find some very good posts.
Post up the pork butt cook Daddio. That's the only thing that I haven't tried on the PBC. I have this Friday off and plan on doing a butt on the PBC as well but I strongly anticipate a situation that I have to tend to. Hopefully that's not the case so we can both pull off the PBC butt cook.

"I'd rather be bbqing--Sport Chalet"

Unread 09-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Is it easy for you to find the same cuts of meat we use over here?
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Post up the pork butt cook Daddio. That's the only thing that I haven't tried on the PBC. I have this Friday off and plan on doing a butt on the PBC as well but I strongly anticipate a situation that I have to tend to. Hopefully that's not the case so we can both pull off the PBC butt cook.

"I'd rather be bbqing--Sport Chalet"
Sounds good ssv3. Still debating if I'm going to hang it or not.

Unread 09-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
ssv3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Im going to hang it myself. I think I can swing it if I secure it properly. Though smaller, I hung the brisket all through the cook without issue. Turned out really good and the butt should turn out really good as well since it's way more forgiving.

I like my point sliced btw

Unread 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Im going to hang it myself. I think I can swing it if I secure it properly. Though smaller, I hung the brisket all through the cook without issue. Turned out really good and the butt should turn out really good as well since it's way more forgiving.

I like my point sliced btw

Man I really want to try a brisket.. Well I'll give hanging a try as well. Can't eat until the weekend.

Unread 09-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
gettinbasted
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Hanging is the only way to go. It gives the meat a nice even cook. Wrap it up when it hits 160 or so and put it on the grate to finish.