Anybody Smoking Hams?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Forget Butts, Picnic and Loins - Who is smoking Hams? What Ham do u like/get? What's ur prep, process and Cook?

I really like the ham from Trader Joe's. they only have them around the holidays but they are very good. I keep it very simple and smoke until it is 160 and then do a light glaze, usually something with maple syrup in it.

I cure fresh hams after we butcher once a year.
My brine recipe: (for 25# hams)
- 5 quarts ice water 38-40 degrees F
- 1 # salt
- 5 oz powdered dextrose
- 5 oz Prague Powder Number 1 (or sure cure)

Pump the hams with the brine and then submerge in a container using the brine solution. Place in cooler for 5-7 days. After the 5-7 days (I usually go the full 7), put the ham in a stockinette and then I hang it in my smoker and smoke to an IT of roughly 152-155 if you want it fully cooked.

Certain things I am not allowed to touch (the stuff my wife likes to do in the kitchen). Hams is one of them. Gotta pick my battles.

I was planning on curing and smoking a shoulder for Christmas (it's not feeding many so I don't want to shell out for a whole leg cut) I'll be following this post!

I smoke pre cooked hams such as Smithfield or royal every year at Christmas and thanksgiving. They are really good!!!!!!!

I have one cured and ready to go that I plan on making shortly. I will post a cook thread when I do.

I smoke the one's from Sams club, waaay better than doing in an oven. Glazed depends on what we want at that time.

Back