The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
N2Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Johnson Large T Smoker

What are your thoughts on this pit? Seems like a good price, would be more efficient than a standard off set since the smoke is rising and could be used with A charcoal basket or wood. It also doubles as a charcoal grill and has a whopping 17 sq ft of cooking space. Anyone ever cooked on one or know anything about them?

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index....d=79&Itemid=96

Last edited by N2Q; 09-02-2012 at 06:01 PM..
N2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
N2Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone seen another fabricator design a pit like this? Even if you haven't seen This particular one, what are your thoughts on how it "should " perform???

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

Tejas and Gator Pit make something similar, though not as big. My only concern would be if that firebox would be able to heatup a smoker that size. I'm not a fabricator, though. I'm sure he has tested it. This would be the smoker I would choose rather than an off-set firebox type. That's just me, though.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks nice. Not sure I want to crawl under the front table to add wood / charcoal. How hot will your legs get next to the fire box ?

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
N2Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillywannaQ View Post
Tejas and Gator Pit make something similar, though not as big. My only concern would be if that firebox would be able to heatup a smoker that size. I'm not a fabricator, though. I'm sure he has tested it. This would be the smoker I would choose rather than an off-set firebox type. That's just me, though.
I agree... It would take a while to heat up. For that reason I think a 48" or 60" wide cooking chamber would be better from that respect especially since I do very few large cooks

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
N2Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
Looks nice. Not sure I want to crawl under the front table to add wood / charcoal. How hot will your legs get next to the fire box ?
Good point. I assume that's why he puts the intakes on the sides but definitely something to consider.

Unread 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Check out the dbl barrel smoker thread that is up and recent he has real cool one and lot less $$$

Unread 09-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
N2Q
Knows what a fatty is.

TTT.... Anyone else have any thoughts on this particular pit?

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Mark M
Full Fledged Farker

It seems to me like one side might get more smoke/heat than the other, since the smoker is going to be slightly out of level to accomodate a drain.
Georgia Bulldog - Go you hairy Dawgs!
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Hardlife2
Got rid of the matchlight.

Greetings, My first post/question. I've been looking at post and reviews across the net on Lang,Johnson and Greasy Hills smokers, I'm starting to lean toward a vertical by Johnson, but I'm not seeing much info on them. I read some threads here last week on someone picking up a reverse smoker from Johnson and they had a chance to see a few in operation...just looking for any pointers on verticals and the Johnson smokers in particular.
Hardlife2 is offline   Reply With Quote