ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Boil in Food Saver bags to reheat food?

Does anyone reheat frozen foods that have been sealed in Food Saver plastic? I have some BBQ sides that I want to warm up. I was thinking that I could drop it in some boiling water until it was hot. Will the bag hold up to the heat?

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I have had mixed results with some Food Saver brand bags splitting in boiling water. What a mess. What I do now is fill a pot with very hot tap water and immerse the bag in it. I might change out the water two or three times depending on if the bag was frozen. This will get your food hot enough to serve or at least close enough for a real quick nuke.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I do it, but I always place a towel in the bottom of the pan of water. Never had a bad result to date. I also don't bring it to a full boil, more like a scald.

Unread 10-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like jazzybadger said, it should not be a full boil. That being said, it just takes too darn long. I normally microwave my freezer bags (cut off a corner to vent)..
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Bludawg

put 'em in the crock pot and cover with water or in a cake pan with hot water in a 250 oven

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I do it often... particularly with ribs. I keep the temperature below boiling and try to keep the plastic from touching the sides/bottom of the hot pan. If I have time, I'll drop the package in the Sous Vide Supreme with the temp set at 180°

Microwave works well, too. Read where one (pricy) restaurant cooks asparagus and other veggies Sous Vide, freezes then nukes them as needed.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

I heat the bags in a pot of hot water, not boiling. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the food to reach 165*. I have never had any problems doing this, I use Foodsaver brand bags.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast Red Thermapen

Got butt ? Smoke it !!
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ

I have put mine in boiling water without problems
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
StokeMySmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Always "gently" boil them. Done it literally hundreds of times. Never once had a problem. Takes about 20 minutes from solid frozen Tastes like you just pulled it off the grill. No idea why most of you have had problems??
StokeMySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
gtr

Downloads: 2

I've done it many times with good results.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I used Weston bags, they are thicker and can take full rolling boils when forgotten about.

Weston bags are made from polyethylene glycol and nylon, and don’t contain BPA, phthalates, or other plasticizers with EA-leaching additives.

Unread 10-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
I have put mine in boiling water without problems
Same here.

Jim - KCBS CBJ

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | Packer Green Thermapen | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | Green Bay Packer UDS
Porcine Perfection is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

I've had a couple of bags open at the seam while boiling. Pulled pork "soup" was not my goal. I read somewhere that the seals are only rated to 180 degrees and since keeping the water temps below 180 I've had no problems with the seals.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, Santa Maria Grill, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

This is the first I've read of busted seams in like 4 years of reading. I didn't realize it was a problem. I've done it hundreds of times and never had an issue. I've never really paid attention to the level of boiling. I have even on several occasions thrown the complete frozen bag in the water and let it come up to boil, then boil another five minutes or so and it is great.

My bags aren't stuff to the seems though. Usually plenty of room. I don't know if this is the difference? I also use the generic bags, from the which website is currently the cheapest (rotates). Maybe this is the difference?

Anyway, I do find that boil in bag results in the best reheating results. I wouldn't let the odds of one bag failing every so often persuade you to try other less good methods. Just always have a freezer full, and you'll be fine.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
This is the first I've read of busted seams in like 4 years of reading. I didn't realize it was a problem. I've done it hundreds of times and never had an issue. I've never really paid attention to the level of boiling. I have even on several occasions thrown the complete frozen bag in the water and let it come up to boil, then boil another five minutes or so and it is great.

My bags aren't stuff to the seems though. Usually plenty of room. I don't know if this is the difference? I also use the generic bags, from the which website is currently the cheapest (rotates). Maybe this is the difference?

Anyway, I do find that boil in bag results in the best reheating results. I wouldn't let the odds of one bag failing every so often persuade you to try other less good methods. Just always have a freezer full, and you'll be fine.
I have never had a problem either. I use Vacmaster bags with my old Foodsaver.
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boiling, food saver