The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Hardluck
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoker help....

So I want a new, bigger smoker. I know I want a stickburner And I love the Jacks old south water cookers. Problem is I cant find anyone who will give me a detailed review on them. I dont wanna just roll the dice on a 4k smoker without hearing input on them... SO What do you guys recommend? Keep in mind id LOVE to have a water cooker like the Jacks Old South cookers. (Maxey still builds them) Advice?

Unread 10-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardluck View Post
So I want a new, bigger smoker. I know I want a stickburner And I love the Jacks old south water cookers. Problem is I cant find anyone who will give me a detailed review on them. I dont wanna just roll the dice on a 4k smoker without hearing input on them... SO What do you guys recommend? Keep in mind id LOVE to have a water cooker like the Jacks Old South cookers. (Maxey still builds them) Advice?

Maybe look at other options or other smokers that have good reviews.

Our wants are not always what will please us in the end. Be sure of your investment before you make the leap.

A Stumps or Jambo are another option...

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My $0.02 for what it is worth (just a bit less than $0.03 normally)... You are right, finding reviews on them is hard. I'm not sure why, but I also don't think that a couple of reviews would sway me into that kind of money spend either. With brands like Lang or Yoder, there are tons of guys using and posting their experience. You can make an educated decision. With a custom (local) build, you can get feedback personally from users and get a better feel from the builder himself. With something like the Jack's, you are basing the decision on the brand rep. I also think that you are basing the price point on that name. I have looked at the specs vs. performance, and personally I think they are way overpriced. Sure the refilling water system is "cool," but... I think too much is made of Myron's use of water and his hot and fast style. They hype those things because it makes for good TV. Lots of guys do both or neither and have good results. Myron is successful IMO because he understands flavor, execution and competition scoring as well (if not better) than anyone who has ever done Q. That's all I've got. Good luck with your decision. Maybe see if they can point you to some personal testimonials. You would think they would be willing to share. Their FB page might be of some help too.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Hardluck
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for your input guys.... I have looked at smokers for about 6momths solid! I mean eat, sleep, and breath smokers! Lang is on the short list for sure Cadillac cookers is on the short list as we'll because I love their firebox design.... I'll be honest I've never looked at a stumps stick burner in detail, I'll check them out though!

Unread 10-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Just my $0.02 (mine probably not worth $0.01), give brother TQ a yell.
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/
Edit - correct link
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Just my $0.02 (mine probably not worth $0.01), give brother TQ a yell.
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/
Edit - correct link
^^^ this is all you need to know^^^

Unread 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Id get a Black One.

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Hardluck
Full Fledged Farker

I refuse to buy a black smoker!! No way! lol...

Last edited by Hardluck; 10-06-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Hardluck is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

I have fallen for the "Buying what you think you want and realizing it doesn't do what you want" with smokers before. I would make a list of items for your smoker that are most important to least important, and use that to help you find the smoker that is right for you. That is a lot of money to spend on something that might not please you.

Unread 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Default One is the loneliest number-TDN

I don't understand the concept of "one smoker" or "one grill". Seriously, people do not think your weird until you reach double digits. But they still show up to eat. Looking for the perfect anything is futile IMHO

Good luck

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Hardluck
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post
I have fallen for the "Buying what you think you want and realizing it doesn't do what you want" with smokers before. I would make a list of items for your smoker that are most important to least important, and use that to help you find the smoker that is right for you. That is a lot of money to spend on something that might not please you.
I think number one on my list is SIZE. I want a big smoker. I love the smoker I have now and would never change BUT, I need more room I did an event and loved it! I got the fever now :)