The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Cook bacon in a smoker?

Tomorrow morning I'm helping out at a charity event where we're serving waffles and bacon. I've got 5lbs of bacon I have to cook. A coworker of mine is also helping out and he said he's going to smoke his 5lbs. I meant to ask him for details but I forgot. Anyone here smoke their bacon to actually cook it and what's your process?

Thanks,
Matt
mattkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Here is a nice thread from Smoking Westy on his cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166634

Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
Here is a nice thread from Smoking Westy on his cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166634
Ok, now I really want to make my own bacon from scratch. that said I'm dealing with store bought already sliced bacon.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nothing too it, you just load your racks up and cook as fast or as slow as you want. I've done them in the offset, mini and UDS.

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

What kind of cooker are you using?

And yes, you need to cure and smoke bacon from scratch.
[SIZE="1"][B]Yoder [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Smokers[/COLOR] YS1500, [COLOR="Red"]Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr.[/COLOR], Weber: [COLOR="Red"]18.5" OT(L)[/COLOR], SJG(AU) & [COLOR="Sienna"](DI)[/COLOR][/B] - [I]Past Cookers[/I]: Yoder Smokers YS640 [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Comp Cart[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]Kamado Joe Classic[/COLOR], OKJoe's Longhorn, [COLOR="Red"]UDS[/COLOR], Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), [COLOR="Red"]22.5" OT(L)[/COLOR]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller[/FONT][/SIZE]
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Shadowdog500
Full Fledged Farker

I never smoked bacon but I have cooked store bought pre sliced smoked bacon on a charcoal grill. I just toss the slices on the grates and flip them over when it is time. This is my favorite way to cook bacon, but I seldom have the time.

I also partially pre cook the bacon this way when I wrap scallops in bacon. Yummy!!!

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

I have two large vertical propane smokers (Masterbuilt GS40 and a Landman that's about the same size)

What would be time and temp about? I'm trying to gage if I have enough time for a test batch.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

If it's thick cut, I do 225* for 3 hours in my Yoder and it turns out really good. If it's thin cut, I can't help much. Just cook until it's the desired level of crispness.
[SIZE="1"][B]Yoder [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Smokers[/COLOR] YS1500, [COLOR="Red"]Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr.[/COLOR], Weber: [COLOR="Red"]18.5" OT(L)[/COLOR], SJG(AU) & [COLOR="Sienna"](DI)[/COLOR][/B] - [I]Past Cookers[/I]: Yoder Smokers YS640 [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Comp Cart[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]Kamado Joe Classic[/COLOR], OKJoe's Longhorn, [COLOR="Red"]UDS[/COLOR], Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), [COLOR="Red"]22.5" OT(L)[/COLOR]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller[/FONT][/SIZE]
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

If time is an issue, you can cook to an IT of 128, slice and then fry it up like normal.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
ebijack
is One Chatty Farker

I typically smoke store bought around 315/325 for about 2.5 to 3 hrs ( I like it crispy.) I use a drip pan as there is ALOT of grease. I have done this on quite a few different smokers over the years. This is before it was done enough for me.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

BBQ Pit Boys did a good looking bacon cook -

Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkins99 View Post
that said I'm dealing with store bought already sliced bacon.
Ok, I must be an idiot because I didn't see this part about the store bought bacon. Sorry about that.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
Ok, I must be an idiot because I didn't see this part about the store bought bacon. Sorry about that.
NP, that was a good post that I might want to do for this charity event next year :-)

Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok, well thank you all for the comments! The smoked bacon was a hit! (mix of apple and hickory) I smoked it at about 315ish for about 2 hours (This was generic thin cut Costco bacon)

Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Any time I make bacon bombs or pork shots and have left over bacon, I apply a pork rub to both sides and smoke the slices laid across my grill. It's usually at 225, and I don't time it, only smoke it until it's done, but it's amazing. I love smoked bacon. I always buy Wright brand applewood smoked bacon for my projects.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote