The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Oh spanisgril did you say classes?? Your classroom is right here and in your back yard...There are no failing grades given out around here!
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Goyo626
On the road to being a farker

Slap yo daddy bbq has a class but I've never joined so no clue if it is any good.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I'm under the impression that the Slap Yo Daddy classes are good - Harry Soo sure does win a lot of comps anyway. I've been wanting to check one out but they are usually booked up far out in advance - I just checked and it looks like the next couple months have openings - if fact, I'm gonna see about doing one of those schedule permitting.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

http://www.bowdownbbq.com/bbq-s-For-Sale.html. ???

http://www.custombbqtrailers.com/contactus.htm ?????

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Those exhaust stacks on the offsets look pretty small - not sure how well those cookers would cook. They might be fine, but most offsets have a pretty good sized exhaust to allow for adequate air flow.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Look for fabricators on your local CL to build you a nice cooker. This will save you a boatload in shipping, get you a quality cooker, and you will have the ability to go with a thinner plate thickness than with some of the big guys to save some $$ if you so choose but still be a nice starting point at a better price point.
Check out local Welding Shops. Lots of those guys build Offsets.
May not be top name, but some great heavy duty smokers can be bought for a fraction of the big name cost. I have one I bought at an estate sale that looks enough like a LANG to make you think someone studied one before they built the one I now love.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
Smokeat
Full Fledged Farker

I think only the Cali people here appreciate how sparse our availability of stickburners is in our locale. I look at CL in other states, and wish we had the selection of equipment inhabiting our state that many take for granted. Not only that, but there are those that recognize the scarcity, and quickly exploit it by opportunistic buying and reselling at exorbitant prices.

Things are trending up, the first Cali comp with over 100 entries will go this weekend.
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
I think only the Cali people here appreciate how sparse our availability of stickburners is in our locale. I look at CL in other states, and wish we had the selection of equipment inhabiting our state that many take for granted. Not only that, but there are those that recognize the scarcity, and quickly exploit it by opportunistic buying and reselling at exorbitant prices.

Things are trending up, the first Cali comp with over 100 entries will go this weekend.
Yup. I paid dearly to have a pit shipped from Klose, but I figured it was a lifetime purchase and I don't regret doing it at all. Lots of good times and good food coming from that thing and many more to come.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
DriverWild
Full Fledged Farker

My two cents- stay away from cheap offset smokers. You will spend more time and money trying to get it dialed in than other alternatives. If you want any offset buy one 1/4" steel or better. Don't go with these newer Joe's that are made of thin sheet metal. They just don't make them like they used to before they were bought out. You would be far better off investing more for the better brands/models or going with a Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) or Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). Good luck in your search!

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Sounds like one of y'all oughta start building pits out there.........

But then again ToeFoo and TriTip do well on High Temp Propane Rigs......

LOL ......JK...........

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
gtr

Now I'm wondering if Toe Fu is some kinda new martial art.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #27
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
It's California... I'm surprised the local EPA hasn't made smoking illegal in your state due to environmental impact from emissions.

Unread 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
Bigmista

I have taken Harry's class and it is definitely worth the money.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Bigmista

Cool

Hmph! Your Toe Fu style is very good. Now try my Won Nut Style! Hiyaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Now I'm wondering if Toe Fu is some kinda new martial art.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
gtr

Ah so!

Traffic allowing, we're gonna make a BAPOM style attempt here in a few minutes.

on edit - traffic didn't look reliable - hope to make it to Pershing Square on Wed.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Last edited by gtr; 10-04-2013 at 02:36 PM..