The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Imaginary or Real?

I cooked hamburgers and bratwurst on Saturday using my offset smoker. I had some leftover bratwurst and stored them in the refrigerator. They tasted good on Saturday but bratwurst tastes good so I didn’t think anything about it. However, last night I tried some and they had the most amazing smoke flavor/aroma. It smelled like a wood fireplace and had a flavor to match. I never achieved anything like this using charcoal or wood pellets. I didn’t taste this on the day I cooked them either. It could be that my sense of smell was dulled by spending time by my smoker so I didn’t taste it that day or that the smoke flavor concentrated over the last couple of days in the refrigerator.

Anyway, this could be my first "Ahah" moment using an offset cooker or it could just be my imagination. Is this a real moment or am I imagining things?

Keep in mind that I have only using an offset cooker for about five months and only now do I think I understand proper fire management techniques for it. This was my smallest fire yet and I am hoping this was the difference.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Real

Lang 36 Patio - Kamado BigJoe
30" Gasser(Dock Box)

MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's real.
After you have been cooking all day you will get desensitized to the smoke. A lot of folks will shower and change clothes after cooking and before eating for that reason.
Love the AH HA! moments.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
warhawk_83
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
It's real.
After you have been cooking all day you will get desensitized to the smoke. A lot of folks will shower and change clothes after cooking and before eating for that reason.
Love the AH HA! moments.
Yep I always have to shower and freshen up after a day of bbqing
warhawk_83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

agreed that it is real. Some times you have to separate yourself from the cook before you can achieve the end results. Happens to me every time really. I actually enjoy ribs more the day after for this reason.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sometimes the smoke flavor itself gets stronger too. Cheese is a good example of this.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
williamj
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 2

The last time I cooked ribs the same thing happened to me. I found myself enjoying them much more the next day, and cold to boot.

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

What really impressed me the most was the flavor of the smoke. It tasted like what a wood fire smells like. This is the aroma that inspired me to buy an offset smoker and cook with wood in the first place.

Charcoal has a different, albeit good, flavor/aroma and pellets give off a really mild flavor. This was the smoke flavor that I have been shooting for.

I think my fires have been too large before this cook so I never quite got as clean a smoke flavor as this last time. I really hope I can replicate it.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
smokin'matt
Knows what a fatty is.

Ahah moments are great, aren't they? Smoked food always tastes better to me the next day. Family doesn't seem to notice a difference so it must be that I get desensitized while cooking. It happens to me when I'm cooking in the kitchen as well. Just can't to get the whole flavor of the food after cooking it, but the next day... YUM! :-)
smokin'matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
mbshop
Babbling Farker

I find that the next day the food tastes better also. the reasons given are very good ones.

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Yep the next day it's like taking a step back and enjoying the fruits of your labor.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
CtTradArcher

I am in the middle of experiencing the same thing. I used to cook soley on charcoal with wood chunks, but have recently started to get the hang of fire management in my offset using solely wood.

I think the taste if far superior to any other fuel...

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Offset, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
funugy
Full Fledged Farker

I have experience the same thing. The next day, after I am clean of smoke the flavors seem more intense.

I love smoke brauts. One of my favorites for sure.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

First time I smoked an apple pie, we dug into it right away and I was really disappointed - thought it might have well been cooked in the oven. Fortunately, there were leftovers and breakfast was amazing the next morning.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #15
creekwalker

I have much the same experience, cooking directly over charcoal (with some flavoring wood) in a UDS-type cooker. It doesn't taste just like a wood fire smells, but a whole lot like it. It brings back memories of camping, which nothing on the day of the cook usually does. (And that can come from just unwrapping the foil from a left-over.)
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote