oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
southpaw_1979
Knows what a fatty is.

Default US vs Canadian Charcoal

This may have been discussed before. Is there a known difference between Canadian and US charcoal. My family has bought many brands but even brand to brand, kingsford for example in the blue bag, briquettes are significantly larger in the US than they are in Canada. I'm intending to stock up in the US from now on.
I was telling my dad how many briquettes to us on a dutch oven and he nearly burned dinner since he was using US briquettes.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Strange. Kingsford of course changed the shape and stuff a few years ago. Maybe he was using an old bag of charcoal...
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
peeps

It is the trend of everything sold in the US these day...soon there will a bag of Kingsford with softball sized briquettes and the bag will be red with lightening bolts and labeled as Kingsford EXXXXTREME!!!!

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

One's from the US, the other's from Canada? Charcoal's charcoal, the difference is in the size of the lump and type of wood it's made from

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
bosco0633
Full Fledged Farker

I spoke with a knowledgeable guy the other day in the world of BBQ. He told me that Canadian Maple Lump (made in Montreal) sub packages for different branding across north america. He stated that Royal Oak is supplied and bagged by the same company.

I wonder if they have Canadian distribution rights for royal oak??

I love my Canadian Maple Lump and have 20 bags for the winter to prove it!!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Instagator
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
I spoke with a knowledgeable guy the other day in the world of BBQ. He told me that Canadian Maple Lump (made in Montreal) sub packages for different branding across north america. He stated that Royal Oak is supplied and bagged by the same company.

I wonder if they have Canadian distribution rights for royal oak??

I love my Canadian Maple Lump and have 20 bags for the winter to prove it!!!!
Hey,

So I got a question now that you bring this up. Royal Oak that they sell in Canadian tire is rebranded Candian Maple? (Is Canadian Maple the same as Maple Leaf? ) Only reason i ask is because I pick up Maple Leaf briquettes from Home Hardware and it would save me time if I just picked up my charcoal from Canadian Tire.

Thanks!
Instagator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
sliding_billy

I just noticed you didn't mention whether your dad was using KBB. There are other brands out there that are significantly smaller in the size of a briquette (the Academy Outdoor Gourmet brand for example - and I have bought other stuff that was even smaller). Is he using an off brand possibly?
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
kenthanson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagator View Post
Hey,

So I got a question now that you bring this up. Royal Oak that they sell in Canadian tire is rebranded Candian Maple? (Is Canadian Maple the same as Maple Leaf? ) Only reason i ask is because I pick up Maple Leaf briquettes from Home Hardware and it would save me time if I just picked up my charcoal from Canadian Tire.

Thanks!
Royal oak is not the same as Basques Sugar Maple which is from Quebec. One is from oak and the other is from a sugar maple tree. I've just started using the basques sugar maple lump and it tastes so much better than royal oak and I think royal oak is pretty darn good.
kenthanson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Fire_Mgmt
Knows what a fatty is.

Basques' lump charcoal is the best for me. My local portuguese churrasqueira cooks exclusively with that stuff.
Fire_Mgmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
southpaw_1979
Knows what a fatty is.

The briquettes are different sizes, yes we were both using Kingsford Blue Bag. We were comparing two bags, of Kingsford Blue Bag, one bought in the US, not sure where and one bag bought in Canada.

I do like the Maple Leaf lump as well though. I find it does spark a bit more than others though, but that doesn't really bother me. Just seems like plain simple stuff, right down to the packaging.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

I had been buying Royal Oak lump at Cdn Tire, but I got a Costco membership earlier in the year and got some of the Basque's sugar maple lump. I love it. I think it smells better.
I'll buy Royal Oak when I can't find affordable Basque's though.
I usually have a bag of Royal Oak briquettes to start the UDS because it's consistent portions, but I burn lump as the primary heat source.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
bosco0633
Full Fledged Farker

I have a local Portuguese place that sells that brand as well. smells so good in there. I love the Canada maple leaf lump it cooks well, smells great and adds a great flavour to my cooks.

Basques I may give a go soon but I have the 20 bags to go through

Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
jeffturnerjr
is one Smokin' Farker

Somewhere in the background I hear the faint pounding of an excited crowd chanting, "U....S...A.....U....S......A" as we discuss Canadian charcoal Vs USA charcoal.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
Somewhere in the background I hear the faint pounding of an excited crowd chanting, "U....S...A.....U....S......A" as we discuss Canadian charcoal Vs USA charcoal.
I'm a big fan of Maple Leaf lump charcoal when I can get it, and I'm down to my last few 9lb bags of their Natural briqs.....

Blame Canada!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting thread. I haven't bought charcoal in the U.S. in 13 years so I can't comment on whether or not there's a difference between U.S. and Canadian. However, I will chime in and say that I'm not a fan of Kingsford at all and really like Royal Oak, although I prefer lump over briquettes. I just picked up a few bags yesterday to get me going in the right direction when my new Pitmaker arrives later this week. ;)

@kenthanson - nice to see another person from SK on here. Good idea posting your Twitter handle on here. Consider yourself followed!