THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Can I take this no smoking Propane Turd and turn it into a Possibly Insulated, Charcoal n Wood Chunk Burning, Meat Smoking Machine? We will find out over the next few weeks........

null_zps57d6a6ce.jpg

null_zps7cf7b21c.jpg

To Be Continued..........

They wanted $200, been offering less all week - $180 was best I could do but I just sold the offset vertical tank smoker for $180 that I had $80 in so I figure I got $80
Into this one - sorta. :wink: And I'll probally get a few Dollars for the propane setup in this one back on the CL. :heh:

Last edited:
Besides ruining Meats , buying and playing with and selling Cheapo smokers is part of the Hobby for me ......just wish I knew how to weld and could afford a wire welder and a plasma.......:pray:

Don't look to be to difficult gut the burner assy and build a basket block the louvres and install a slide damper shouldn't take longer than a 12 pk.

Great minds thinking alike??????

I think mine is an older big brother to your score and just yesterday started measuring an sketching a remodel from a gasser to a charcoal/stickburner. Mine is a "Grand Hall" made in China for Sam's Club, marketed as a MembersMark product. I cooked on it for about 10 years and got pretty good results but since I build my reverse flow a couple years ago, I've just had it mounted to the trailer and used is as an oven, but I think it will make a nice insulated vertical. The top cooking chamber is already insulated.
002_zpsbadc4412.jpg

The bottom chamber is not insulated but it is plenty big to let me add 2" of insulation and a 1/4" firebox, charcoal grate, etc. (I've been using the lower chamber to store my gas frier & stuff)
005_zps4d1b2cf3.jpg

My plan is to keep the water pan but gut the wood chip drawers and burner & controls.
003_zpscf1ad215.jpg

004_zpsa5dd287f.jpg

I'm thinking I'll be able to preserve the SS exterior pretty much in tact. Good luck on your build and I'll be watchin closely to try and learn something.

I gutted the propane system tonite........

null_zps03dfc7cb.jpg

null_zps64c7f7f0.jpg

It had recessed wheels and so had wheel humps in back corners I had to cut out....I'm gonna cover the bottom and the vented sides on inside with lighter gauge sheetmetal then have a buddy weld me up an open top box out of 1/8" or 3/16" plate with short (4") front wall to slip in there then I will run a charcoal n wood chunk burn basket in that.

null_zpsc2d2c8d8.jpg

It is double walled but not insulated except for the doors-- if I can get the top off easily I wanna stuff insulation down into the walls :biggrin1:

You're off to a great start!
looks like you will have one nice smoker there.

Boots are way safer to work in :shock:

And my High Temp Food Grade RTV from BBQGaskets.com via Amazon came today so I oughta be able to get some work done on it this weekend........

null_zpsde92a8e7.jpg

Last edited:
Back