The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Boogan1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default AR Spectator questions

I have never been to a BBQ contest and wanted to come out to the American Royal. I know the teams will be busy cooking on saturday so i was wondering what there is for a spectator to do? Is there food and drinks available? What are do's and don't's for spectators around the cooking sites? I someday want to compete at the AR but I am a long way from that day lol. Just wanted the competitors input on what they think of spectators and what there is to see and do from a spectator standpoint. Boog
Boogan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Cayman1
Full Fledged Farker

If you don't catch a team during turn-in, most are very happy to visit. Last year I didn't compete but attended Sat. It was cold and windy so not many spectators around. We got to talk with all the "big boys" one on one. All were super nice and friendly. There will be displays of smokers, etc. in the expo building as well as other vendors.

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
carlyle
Full Fledged Farker

Go to their website and look at the cooks schedule so you can avoid turn in times.

Saturday turn ins will be the Invitational - about 150 out of the 560 teams plus the side dish competition - who knows how many teams for that.

Look at the other events going on listed on the web site. Plenty of stuff to do. And vendors for food and drink.

Observe and you can tell if activity is frantic and stressful, probably not want to bother those folks.

Most are very approachable. Are happy to chat and answer questions.

And on Saturday there will be plenty of hangovers from the crazy Friday night. That is a spectacle all of its own.

Come and have a good time.

Unread 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
midwest_kc
On the road to being a farker

If you're coming up on Saturday, feel free to stop by and say hi to me in spot 285 in the late afternoon or on. Due to some child care issues, I won't be out late on Friday, and then I'll be planning to get back up there around 2 or so, probably take my son around to the petting zoo and such, then it'll be me, my team, beer and BBQ from then on!