The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
relling
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Tough decisions

I am finding it very hard to decide on the size smoker I want to upgrade to. It's almost as hard as when I bought the house.

Using a Primo jr now and have had too many double cookings this past summer or worse, only able to have time for one item and use gas grill for other stuff.

I am thinking either a lang 36 hybrid or the lang 48 non hybrid. I have cardboard cut outs of the grates sitting here on the floor and keep bouncing back and forth between them with pro's and con's for both. I am about at the point of flipping a coin.

Any 36 hybrid people that wish they had gone to the 48? Or any 48 people that think they should have gone smaller?

Love the site. Lots of info here that will take a while to digest.
relling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Ron_L

I think wishing that you had bought bigger is very common, and wishing that you bought smaller is fairly rare

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I think wishing that you had bought bigger is very common, and wishing that you bought smaller is fairly rare
Very true.... How often do we here these words... "I need more room"

When I was doing research to buy my smoker, I simply thought what the largest cook I could ever imagine myself doing, and then I choose the next size up from that.

It worked out best because the unit is large enough to hang large batches of homemade sausage for smoking.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
funugy
Take a breath!

It comes down to how much you normally cook. Not having enough space is the most common complaint that comes to mind, but if you normally only cook small meals the extra space that needs to be heated can waste a lot of fuel.

Decisions...decisions.

You could always fall back on the old saying...Go big or go home.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
peeps

This was brought up in another thread today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Buy a little bigger than you think you need. Trust me on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
That's good advice on most everything. TVs, cars, trucks, trailers, boobs, beer, liquor, etc...

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

+1 on going bigger. You've said you don't have enough room for your cooks now.
I know I'd be upset if I bought a smaller one and still found myself short on room regularly.

Be careful who you step on on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
sliding_billy

Buy what you have enough physical space (and funds) for. You can never have too much cooking space as long as that are accounted for.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree with everyone else on this. The only downside is extra fuel consumption, but I honestly find that to be a non factor since you already have a small cooker.

I had this crossroads when it came to the WSM 18 versus the 22.5
I got myself a Kettle from this uber awesome site, and got the WSM 22.5. If I'm doing a small cook I just make it in my Kettle, and if I'm doing a large cook then I've got ample space in my 22.5, and if I'm doing a reaaaallly big cook I've got both cookers at my disposal.

It's always good to have a small(ish) size cooker in your arsenal, and it's always good to have the biggest mama jama you can fit/afford in your arsenal too.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Langs are great cookers and I'm sure you would like either but if it was me making the decision I would definitely go with the 48! Looking at the grate sizes, I would be afraid that I would be crowding the food to much on larger cooks on the 36, but I do tend to cook a bunch at one time.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
IamMadMan

If your worried about fuel consumption, you might consider an insulated vertical smoker. I can get a 16 - 22 hour burn on a single 8 lb load depending upon the brand of charcoal.

Also it has a much smaller footprint,
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

are you keeping your Primo?

If you are fuel comsumption is not an issue since you can always use it for smaller cooks when you dont require the large pit
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Bigger is better.

If you're considering a Lang, be sure to take a peek at the shirleyfabrication.com site first.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
relling
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
are you keeping your Primo?

If you are fuel comsumption is not an issue since you can always use it for smaller cooks when you dont require the large pit
Yes, will be keeping the Primo for the small items such as Steelhead Trout on a plank. (Unless doing two, which doesn't fit very well right now.) Or for an overflow even.

Fuel consumption and cost were not issues I was too concerned with. I was originally leaning towards the 36 since it has a grill on it, but now am thinking that too could be something the Primo could handle while I had the larger cooker.

Thanks to all. I will probably call on the 48 and see what it costs with the changes I want and go from there. I figure shipping will be roughly the same cost since they both would weigh about the same.
relling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Don't be surprised if you go with the bigger one....then at some point wish you had gone even bigger...