The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
cousinconley
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Roasting Arabica Coffee with Oak Lump and Pecan Chunk

I hope this fits under the Q-Talk category. Sorry if it does not.

Roasting El Salvador Arabica coffee beans. Got a fire going on the Cook N Kettle Sr and an old cast iron skillet. I roasted using lump oak charcoal and a single chunk of pecan wood. Total cook time was 15 minutes and finishing up with the 2nd crackling with a running temp of 450 F. They are currently in a resting phase during this post. I have not tried this batch yet. I will follow up with an update.

Update: Well I got impatient and tried a cup. The aroma is unbelievable...the beans smell sweet like toasted caramel. The coffee beverage had a mild nutty flavor. Overall excellent. The smoking worked! I will try cherry wood chunk next time with the oak.

Getting fire going:

Beans starting to brown:

Keeping lid on between stirs:

Beans have reached 2nd crackling and are ready:

Shake to cool and separate the bean from the chaff:

Inspecting:

Bagging:

Store away for 24 hours to settle and let them breathe:

Last edited by cousinconley; 09-25-2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Added update for taste test results...
cousinconley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

Interesting...looking forward to hearing how the coffee turns out.

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cool idea.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
smokeswirl
Got Wood.

Try roasting the coffee just til the end of first crack. I did/do a fair amount of coffee roasting.

Did the chunk of pecan impart flavor. I always wanted to do wood roasted coffee. Thanks for sharing
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
cousinconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeswirl View Post
Try roasting the coffee just til the end of first crack. I did/do a fair amount of coffee roasting.

Did the chunk of pecan impart flavor. I always wanted to do wood roasted coffee. Thanks for sharing
I will try just first crack next time. I am letting the beans breath a bit before trying them. I roasted some last weekend. After 12 hours I started grinding and tasting. They seemed to get better over the course of the day. So tomorrow morning (24 hours) I will grind some and try it. I am hoping the pecan and oak impart some flavor since I used the lid between stirs this time.

Unread 09-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
smokin'matt
Knows what a fatty is.

Great idea. Never thought of smoke roasting my own coffee. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. If it's good, I'll give it a try. If it's not good, I'll change up your recipe until I get the results I'm looking for.
smokin'matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
cousinconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'matt View Post
Great idea. Never thought of smoke roasting my own coffee. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. If it's good, I'll give it a try. If it's not good, I'll change up your recipe until I get the results I'm looking for.

Well I got impatient and tried a cup. The aroma is unbelievable...the beans smell sweet like toasted caramel. The coffee beverage had a mild nutty flavor. Overall excellent. The smoking worked! I will try cherry wood chunk next time with the oak.

Also, I tried dipping a few beans in chocolate using microwavable chocolate sauce. Waiting for them to harden:

Unread 09-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
BecknCO

that looks absolutely amazing - finally a post little miss fitness sitting next to me didn't say "eww that's fatty" to lol. I definitely have to give this a shot!

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
amjpierce
Found some matches.

I expect some of the choco covered beans to be on my desk in the morning. Looks great! Nice experiment!!! Now try grinding the beans and using it as a dry rub on a brisket.
amjpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
cousinconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjpierce View Post
I expect some of the choco covered beans to be on my desk in the morning. Looks great! Nice experiment!!! Now try grinding the beans and using it as a dry rub on a brisket.
Got the choco beans already here!

Unread 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
smokeswirl
Got Wood.

The coffee really opens up in flavor three days in. For me the peak development of flavors occurs within the 3-7 days. After 2 weeks you get a serious decline in flavor. When coffee goes past 2 weeks I freeze them in a ziplock freezer bag. Or I food saver them depending on how much coffee.

Freezing wont damage the coffee so long as you scoop out what you need and return coffee back to the freezer. had coffee 4 months old and still very very good.
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
KingRanch450
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like fun....I bet the aroma was great!

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice! You might want to check this out

http://www.sweetmarias.com/stovepopmethod.php
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
hoodie2
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeswirl View Post
The coffee really opens up in flavor three days in. For me the peak development of flavors occurs within the 3-7 days. After 2 weeks you get a serious decline in flavor. When coffee goes past 2 weeks I freeze them in a ziplock freezer bag. Or I food saver them depending on how much coffee.

Freezing wont damage the coffee so long as you scoop out what you need and return coffee back to the freezer. had coffee 4 months old and still very very good.
You should wait at least 3-4 days before putting in freezer so the beans can finish off-gassing CO2. I vacuum seal just what I can use in a week and pull out when needed. If you put in a ziplock and are constantly putting in and out of freezer the beans will develop ice crystals from the air that gets in the bag every time you open it when cold. I have frozen beans for up to 6 mos with no degradation of flavor. Never put your beans in the refrigerator (unless you want them to taste like broccoli or onions)! YMMV!
hoodie2 is offline   Reply With Quote