The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

Default My first brisket. I think I can. I think I can

Ok here we go. After being a lurker on here for some time and soaking in all the info I can I am attempting my first brisket. I have done lots of cooks with pork butts and ribs and easier stuff so I figured its time to step it up a notch. Waiting for the smoker to get up to temp right now. I'll try to keep update as often as I can and post pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.4 KB, 238 views)
Friction33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Ron_L

You can do it!

What's your plan for rub and the cook?

Just remember to cook it until the thickest part of the flat is tender and then rest it for a couple of hours and you'll be fine.

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Best of luck. Post any questions during the cook. You will get an answer quickly for sure.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You can do it!

What's your plan for rub and the cook?

Just remember to cook it until the thickest part of the flat is tender and then rest it for a couple of hours and you'll be fine.
I did a simple coarse black pepper, seasoned salt , garlic powder, paprika , and a little ground red pepper
Hoping to keep cooking temp between 250-290
Using lump coal for heat and hickory and cherry for smoke

Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Ron_L

Sounds good! Good luck!

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
frognot
Quintessential Chatty Farker

BigMista did his first brisket with this group & look at him now!

Just concentrate on the fact that it's done when it feels right, not a specific time or temp.

Texas Fall Bash (link)

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

Quick question. At what time interval or temp is best to stop the smoke and just keep the heat going? TNX

Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Bludawg

I cook on a stick burner with all wood so.... how ever long the thing is on the pit.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Did my first brisket a week ago....on the Kettle running at about the same temp as you are.....I smoked it for about 6.5 hours as I recall then foiled. It was almost all black when I foiled. I ran water for the first 3 hours then no water for a better crust....there was a nice firm crust when I foiled. Like you I had done plenty of butts and ribs but had yet to take on the mighty brisket. A fella who had tried lots of my food said, "if that's not the best thing you have ever made it is tied for it." So I did not f### it up.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

Ok tnx. I'm using a COS so I will keep putting in chunks as needed

Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

You'll do great! Don't over think it. It's meat, fire, & seasoning.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
You'll do great! Don't over think it. It's meat, fire, & seasoning.
This

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
DevineSwine
Full Fledged Farker

The biggest problem I always had when cooking brisket was I never gave myself enough time!!!!! I would have a house full people expecting to eat at 6 and at 5:30 it was only at 180. The best brisket I ever made which was just about 5 weeks ago I became a smart ass about. I went to meat packer and a 15lbs packer had him trim it and got a choice grade piece of meat. I brought it home and made a simple rub then through it on a uds with a temp of about 275 at 10 o clock pm then went to bed I woke up the next morning at 8 and the IT was at 170 at 11 oclock the following day it came off ( 205* ). I wrapped it in foil then a blanket and put it in the cooler till 2 then pulled the point off and cut into pieces re rubbed and sauced put in a foil pan and put on till 6 for burnt ends. See its then I discovered it wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to cook brisket its that needed to LEAVE IT ALONE and give it time.
DevineSwine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

Cook temp is steady at 270. Brisket temp is up to 135 going to just let it sit and cook until it is probe tender no matter how long it takes. I want it to be as good as I can get it for my first.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
scp
is one Smokin' Farker

That's why I like the hot and fast....plus if its done too early...more time in the cooler is not a bad thing.