Discussion Thread -> "Tri-Tip Feast!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Tri-Tip Feast!"

DSC_0016_2134.jpg

Smokin Aussie's Winning Entry in the 2011 Tri-Tip Master's Cut Throwdown

As chosen by Will work for bbq for his stellar win in the "Show Off Your Heritage!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Will work for bbq said:
Hey Moose lately the TD's have had a sort of a Masters Cut TD feel to it. Starting with the "A Pork Rib-Off!" TD. Which I thought was great not only did it remind me of the "Masters Cut #2 - Spareribs" TD but R2Egg2Q was able to defend (validate) his title. The current "Legs!" TD reminds me of the "Masters Cut #4 - Chicken Leg Quarters" TD. So I feel obligated to honor the "Masters Cut #3 - Tri-Tip Roast". Sides optional, and no special rules.(special rule).

What? No special rules? What kind of TD is that?:confused:

:mmph:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/27 through Sunday 10/6.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 10/7.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread. :loco:

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Hot-N-Fast Tri-Tip on Arugula with Shaved Parmesian.

I recon I'll start this show! Please accept this as my official entry into this weeks, "Tri-Tip Feast" Throwdown.

After a full morning's shopping for a nice Tri-Tip and three meat markets later I found this beauty.

Rubbed with Olive Oil and lightly dusted with Plowboy's Bovine Bold and some fresh ground black pepper.

Placed her on the Kamado for direct H&F cookin

Pulled her off when she reached 120 degrees internal temp and wrapped and rested in foil in my cooler.

Prepped up the plates with the Arugula and twice baked potatoes. (sliced chicken breast for Thalia on the left.)

After 10 minutes rest, I sliced her up nice and thin like this.

And plated it up, for the waiting Guests.

Happy Folks indeed!

My polling pic, if you please!

Thanks for lookin, now it time for leftover Tri-Tip and eggs. Breakfast is served!

Jed

Looks Great - I bet it makes a wonderfull breakfast also!

Beautiful opening entry Jed. That leftover Tri Tip sammie brought a tear to my eye or was that drool either way I need a bib. :hungry:

Last edited:
Please accept this as my official entry into the "Tri-Tip Feast" Throwdown.

First TD and first attempt at tri-tip.

Marinated for a couple hours with some EVOO, jalapeno infused balsamic vinegar, and some SPOG.

Had the mini WSM going for some time trials and a brisket flat, so I added it once I brown paper bagged the flat with the plan to smoke at ~250F and then reverse sear.

Doing it's thing while I watched the Cowboys lose...

Pulled the pot off the mini to get the coals piping hot for the reverse sear...

Pulled it off about 130F and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.

Sliced it up and made tri-tip sandwiches with sliced pepper colby jack and sun-dried tomato basil pesto with a side of corn also mixed with the above pesto and spinach dip bites.

Please use the picture above as my official throwdown entry pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great, peeps! The jalapeno infused vinegar is intriguing. Could you taste it in the final product?

That looks great, peeps! The jalapeno infused vinegar is intriguing. Could you taste it in the final product?
I didn't notice it, but I wasn't looking for it either...I was hungry and just started chowing as soon as I started slicing. :biggrin: I just used a splash on each side. And certainly could not taste it over the tomato basil pesto.

Having it tonight as leftovers and will see if I can make it out before mixing it with any other flavors.

I didn't notice it, but I wasn't looking for it either...I was hungry and just started chowing as soon as I started slicing. :biggrin: I just used a splash on each side. And certainly could not taste it over the tomato basil pesto.

Having it tonight as leftovers and will see if I can make it out before mixing it with any other flavors.
Ron,

I tried a few bites last night and I could detect the tangy hint of vinegar, but couldn't pick out the jalapeno infusion over the SPOG.

Very nice looking sammich!

But please... Moose and I aren't a couple. :loco: Don't lump us in with Brangelina or Shamy...

:-D

Thank you Ron and my apologies.

I'll try and remember, Batman and Robin > Bennifer. :-D

“Tri” Tri-Tip Sandwiches.

This is my entry into the Tri-Tip Throwdown.

Started off with a trimmed USDA Choice TT and here is what I use for a rub.

IMG_4878_zps8d08e79e.jpg

After a little trimming I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire Sauce. Then Fresh ground Garlic & Sea Salt, 5 pepper mix, steak seasoning & fresh minced Rosemary. I wrapped this up in stretch wrap and let it marinate for 6 hours.
IMG_4887_zps054f2206.jpg

Approximately 1 ½ hours before my guests arrived I put it on to the indirect side of the kamado at 225 with some Mesquite chunks.

IMG_4898_zpsa77f7782.jpg

Once it reached 113 I removed and wrapped it and opened up the vents. Once the kamado reached 500 I seared it on both sides for 3 minutes.
IMG_4910_zpsbadc2852.jpg

I let it rest for 15 minutes and sliced it.
IMG_4916_zpsb5605711.jpg

IMG_4924_zpsb7cabb05.jpg

IMG_4928_zps7e898b14.jpg

We ate some that day but what I really wanted was the leftovers to make sandwiches.

Here are the ingredients to make my three favorite sandwiches.
IMG_4933_zpsac2d9144.jpg

Made up some Sriracha Mayo and Basil Pesto Mayo. Spread the Sriracha Mayo on a Ciabatta Roll and the Basil Pesto Mayo on a French Roll and finally the Greek Yogurt Dill & Cucumber Dip in a Pita Pocket.
IMG_4939_zpsef4f07d9.jpg

Put on the other ingredients and assembled the sandwiches.
IMG_4943_zps6c951b98.jpg

IMG_4948_zps3a5df2c3.jpg

Here are the plated shots.

IMG_4955_zps9ea00c18.jpg

Please use this as my entry shot.
IMG_4956_zpsed03511c.jpg

Oh so Good! :whoo:

Back