喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
kingstar
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Vacuum Packed Brisket Filling with Air

I've had a vacuum packed brisket that I bought about 4 weeks ago in my fridge. I just noticed today that it is getting quite a bit of air in it. Almost as if it had sprung a leak. I've tried rotating it around all over and none of the blood leaks out anywhere, so I think it is actually still sealed. I don't see any signs of discoloration. I'm going to let my nose be my guide when I open it this weekend. Anyone else have any experience with this?
kingstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
AZScott
Take a breath!

Yep. As it ages it releases gas. When was the pack date? If there is a lot of air it may be bad but like you said, go by your nose.

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
martyleach
Babbling Farker

That sounds bad to me. I'm thinking your nose is not going to like it... :(
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
kingstar
Got Wood.

Don't know the pack date. The sell by date is 9/5. I'll be opening it outside in case it's bad. I will be very unhappy as this is the first whole brisket I have found in my area. I wanted to cook it before now, but life got in the way.
kingstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Just keep in mind that cryovaced meats, in many cases, will initially have an "off" smell when you first open them, sometimes it can be pretty strong, so make sure and give it a good rinsing before you toss it. If it still smells real bad after a good rinse then it's likely history.

KC

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

When are you planning on cooking it? With a sell by date that long ago, it probably should have been frozen.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Diesel Dave
Babbling Farker

Sorry to say it, but I'm betting it's bad
WWGALD

Michigan Custom Cue "Serving those that have served us"

][][][%er

There is NO Secret Squirrel Society
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Your like 15 days past the sell by date. I wouldn't even open it, just trash it.

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
IamMadMan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
Your like 15 days past the sell by date. I wouldn't even open it, just trash it.
^^^^^^ I agree

Two weeks past the sell-by date, I wouldn't take the chance. A day or two I'd take the time to check it, but not two weeks.

I would have put it in the freezer if I were not going to use it that first week even though it was in the safe date.

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
winochef
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY
+1

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
Dim
Got Wood.

my mom and dad used to buy meat in bulk (a whole sheep, a whole pig, a beef hindquarter several chickens etc ....

the butcher used to cut the meat, and pack in plastic bags .... those were the days before vacuum pack machines were freely available

the meat used to be packed in a chest freezer, and the meat was still good 6 months later
Dim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
Smokin Pete43
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim View Post
my mom and dad used to buy meat in bulk (a whole sheep, a whole pig, a beef hindquarter several chickens etc ....

the butcher used to cut the meat, and pack in plastic bags .... those were the days before vacuum pack machines were freely available

the meat used to be packed in a chest freezer, and the meat was still good 6 months later
The Key words here are "packed in a chest freezer"
Smokin Pete43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
Hcs
Knows what a fatty is.

From experience( I do commercial refrigeration) when a fridge gets above temp for extended amount of time usually the packaging will start to swell. And considering a lot of meat packers now inject the meats to prolong shelf life it can really smell bad. This is why I use a family owned market that cuts to order for me to buy all my meats they have whole cows in the walk ins!

Unread 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know how all stores set their sell dates, but I normally wet-aged brisket bought from Hy-Vee in KC about 3 weeks past the sell by date. At that point, I either cooked or froze the brisket. Never had a bad one as long as the cryovac was intact. Those briskets were stored at 34-36 degrees in a modified chest freezer.

Unread 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
aawa
Babbling Farker

Just because the meat is past the sell by date doesn't mean it is bad. If it was cryovac'd you can wet age it for a couple weeks past it. The big things to keep an eye out is the packed date, and making sure it is kept nice and cold 32-36 degrees.

I would be a little concerned with the bag puffing up. That means that gasses are being released. The gasses could be from the meat just aging (although the 2 that I have wet aged, the cryovac didn't puff up any) or it could be bacteria such as botulissum causing the gas release. I would open up the pack and give it a good rinse. If it smells bad after that, toss it.