The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

Default Competition Question on beef

So... I'm just starting out in competition BBQ. I've been a student of it for longer than I care to count, but finally got around to dipping my toe in the competitive pool. Did a ribs only cook off last weekend and placed 4th in both Dry and Wet. I'll take it for my first outing.

Anyway, we're doing another small one this weekend. 3 categories - ribs, chicken, and beef. I'm good with the ribs and chicken, but for beef they say "Any cut you want" Anybody heard of this? Set up starts at 7:30 and turn in for beef is at 1, so unless I do a very small brisket hot and fast, seems like that's out. What is typical for something like this? What should I avoid? My mind went straight to bourbon soaked Prime Ribeye steak. Is that a good idea? How would you even present that to 6 judges? Preslice it like a brisket? 6 small steaks in a box? Thanks for any help you guys have.
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
BillyVoltaire
On the road to being a farker

How about a nice tri-tip?

BV
BillyVoltaire is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Ron_L

What are the rules for turn in? Do you need a specific number of pieces?

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

It's pretty vague. I know that there's 6 judges and they are supplying boxes. I'm trying to find out the box size and if its one or 6 boxes per category turn in.

This is a small town Q off fund raiser for a children's hospital, put on by the hardware store, so I'm not surprised the rules are lacking. Just wondered if anyone has any advice or insight on an "any cut" beef submission.

A tri tip is a pretty good idea too!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Beef tenderloin

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

I kind of like your prime rib idea. I think I would take the slices and cut them in half. That way, you could put 6 in comfortably.

Also, maybe beef ribs?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

So you can get six pieces in there, I would take a page out of Phubars play book. Teres Major.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I am in love with tri tip right now, so that is what I would do. I got a nice tri tip from whole foods last weekend, and it got me 7th overall in the ribs and best dish competition in Glen Ellyn. Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how you do in the comp!

Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; UDS; Thermapen Mk4; DigiQ DX2; IQ120; CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years); Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

We're (kinda) famous!
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Beef tenderloin like Scottie said. Get full loin and trim. Coat with good beef rub. Smoke to internal in the fat part of 120. Cook at max of 250. Then onto hot grill to crisp up the outside. Less than 3 minutes total time on grill. Should be medium to med rare. Let sit 20 minutes covered. Slice and serve. Put some from the skinny end injustice in case a judge doesn't eat red.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
It's pretty vague. I know that there's 6 judges and they are supplying boxes. I'm trying to find out the box size and if its one or 6 boxes per category turn in.

This is a small town Q off fund raiser for a children's hospital, put on by the hardware store, so I'm not surprised the rules are lacking. Just wondered if anyone has any advice or insight on an "any cut" beef submission.

A tri tip is a pretty good idea too!
I doubt that it is 6 boxes, but you need to verify if you need a certain number of pieces or if the judges will be able to cut the entry. A whole piece of meat stands a better chance of staying juicy.

I'm a big fan of a nicely cooked tri-tip as well.

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

I wouldn't have thought 6 boxes either...until last week at the rib cook off we had to submit 11 boxes for 11 judges!!

But we heard back today, one box, 5 judges. You think turning in one piece of a tri tip is acceptable, basically leaving the judges to cut it it up, or should I present it sliced and ready to eat?

I'm still torn. I make a very good tri tip, but my bourbon marinated ribeye is epic. It's my one beef dish outside of brisket that I always get "best I ever had" comments on.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

Sorry Ron, just saw the part about verifying if the judges can cut the entry. I'll find that out and go from there. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

If your ribeye is epic, cook what you know and do well. I would think the judges, even if they have utensils, will expect it sliced for them.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would go with Picanha. Find yourself a butcher who knows how to cut it or cut it yourself.

We won a chefs choice category recently with ours, it's so flavorful it's like a punch in the taste buds.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

Chris, you read my mind. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here. I'm sticking to what I know I can do really well this time. I picked up some gorgeous aged prime ribeyes today. And I was also thinking ready to eat is probably best. Thank you all for the input on this. I really appreciate it!

Rubs are mixed, Sauce is ready, marinade is done. I'll let you know how it goes!