The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
funstuie
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Why brine?

Hey all

I am still relatively new to serious bbq - before it would just be some burgers or kebabs on the little charcoal bbq in the backyard.

Anyway looking for some stuff to cook on the bbq (we don't eat beef so its all pork or chicken or lamb) and I see a lot of guys mentioning brining when they cook chicken.

This is not something I have ever heard of anyone doing in the UK so can anyone explain why you do it?

Taste or cleanliness?
funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Tastes.
SmittyJonz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only thing I've ever brined has been a fresh (Uncured) ham. Pork doesn't need it in my experience. I've never brined lamb or even chicken. Marinated, yes, but never brined. Just curious, why no beef?
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/r...of_brines.html

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
funstuie
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
The only thing I've ever brined has been a fresh (Uncured) ham. Pork doesn't need it in my experience. I've never brined lamb or even chicken. Marinated, yes, but never brined. Just curious, why no beef?
Years of growing up in Ireland with horrible overcooked beef (more often than not boiled!) everyday just turned me off.

My wife doesn't like the taste of beef so I just stopped eating it. If I go to someone's house or a restaurant and I know the beef will be cooked properly (rare for burgers and steak) I will order/eat but at home there is not much point as she doesn't eat and I am not cooking two seperate meals (I do most
Of the cooking).

I have gotten quite inventive with chicken/turkey/pork meat that I don't miss beef at home. As I said if I am out at a nice place I will order steak or ribs or a burger.

Also when I am drunk I can't not have a fast food burger.
funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A Brine induces osmosis in the cells of the protein it pulls the brine solution in hydrating hte cell to a super saturation, if you flavor the brine it will bring some flavor too WIN WIN. Increase in moisture & subtle flavor.
My favorite Brine for Chicken
1/2 Gal water
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/4 cup honey
2 tbl Texas Pete or any hot pepper sauce you like
juice from 1/2 a lemon & 1/2 a lime (If the fruits are small use it all)

You bring your Mrs to Texas Mate I'll Change her life with some Quality brisket If it will repair a damaged Vegan It will fix her too.

Unread 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

A long story made short..

Brine can add flavor, make the meat a little more tender, and keeps it very moist and juicy when served.

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

It really adds a lot of moisture to a bird or any cut of meat that is lacking in fat content such as lamb or venison, sometimes a brine is the only thing standing in the way of overly dry meat. Here is my go to brine that pretty much works for everything, simple but effective.
Brine:
2 quarts water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a large knife
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
Bring to a boil and remove from heat and allow to cool. To speed things up you can cook it up with only a quart and a half of water and then add 1/2 a quart of ice at the end to cool it faster. I brine half chickens over night or for 12 hours total in the fridge or in an ice chest.

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but brine is just salt and water, which adds moisture. Flavored brine can add flavor too.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
retired trucker
is one Smokin' Farker

A good thing about brinning a chicken is if you mange to over cook it, it will still turn out nice and juicy. My daughter likes her chicken ruined (overcooked to me) so If I brine it and cook it to her specs, it is still edible for the rest of us normal folks.

Blessings,
Omar

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
A good thing about brinning a chicken is if you mange to over cook it, it will still turn out nice and juicy. My daughter likes her chicken ruined (overcooked to me) so If I brine it and cook it to her specs, it is still edible for the rest of us normal folks.

Blessings,
Omar
Yeah, my sister is the same way, after it's cooked to death she then smothers it in ketchup!!! OH, THE HUMANITY!!!