MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoking Venison (Deer Shoulders)

Looking for advice on cooking temps and IT Temps? Should I wrap after a certain temp? Do you wrap and rest like a brisket in cooler? Thanks for all that give me some Tips/advice!!
Curtc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Marinade it over night in your favorite stuff and smoke 275-300 to an IT of 165...rest, slice and serve. Slap some bacon on it also...yummy

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

Not a lot of fat in venison. Put them in foil or foil pans with some Worcestershire and your favorite seasonings. I leave the foil off the top and flip them to get smoke in then cover and finish. I cook them until they are done. They cook fast so be careful of over cooking.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Smokinwright
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmanjim View Post
Not a lot of fat in venison. Put them in foil or foil pans with some Worcestershire and your favorite seasonings. I leave the foil off the top and flip them to get smoke in then cover and finish. I cook them until they are done. They cook fast so be careful of over cooking.
Same here besides for the first 30-40 minutes I smoke at around 225 just on the rack, then pan it with some liquid for an hour, then cover for the last hour. If your cooking at higher temps, you will need to adjust.
Smokinwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Marinade is a definite. Very lean meat.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Wrap that sucker in a bacon weave like a fattie boy that sound yummy I may have to take up hunting again.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the tips, The It sounds like around 165?? I ve read so many different temps from 145-200?? So I think I will go 165 ish!!!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmanjim View Post
I defintely like your idea, what IT temp do usally pull them??

Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

I like smoked whole deer shoulder and hams so much that I leave all 4 quarters whole and only cut up the tenderloin these days. Depending on the size the times will differ but what I do is very simple. Rub it (brisket rub), lay a pound of bacon across it (no need to be neat), smoke it until the color is good at +/- 275 (similar to how you would judge a brisket prior to wrapping), place in a large foil pan- pour your favorite BBQ sauce over it (not too sweet) and wrap the top of the pan tightly, braise the remainder of the cook until you can reach in an pull the bone out easily. Pull all the tendons out,hand shred the meat and mix back with the sauce. I have turned vegetarians back into meat eaters with this method- NO JOKE. If I have too many leftovers I can the rest in beef broth- goes perfect over egg noodles. Good luck.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Instead of covering in bacon, I have had greater success rolling the venison in a coating of bacon grease and reapplying once or twice. That way the bacon is not inhibiting the meat from taking on the smoke flavor.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

So rough guess, how long would a venison quarter take at 250*?
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Marinade it over night in your favorite stuff and smoke 275-300 to an IT of 165...rest, slice and serve. Slap some bacon on it also...yummy
i do the same . BUT i go with 225 . And yes do wrar it in bacon
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

I meant wrap it in bacon
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
I like smoked whole deer shoulder and hams so much that I leave all 4 quarters whole and only cut up the tenderloin these days. Depending on the size the times will differ but what I do is very simple. Rub it (brisket rub), lay a pound of bacon across it (no need to be neat), smoke it until the color is good at +/- 275 (similar to how you would judge a brisket prior to wrapping), place in a large foil pan- pour your favorite BBQ sauce over it (not too sweet) and wrap the top of the pan tightly, braise the remainder of the cook until you can reach in an pull the bone out easily. Pull all the tendons out,hand shred the meat and mix back with the sauce. I have turned vegetarians back into meat eaters with this method- NO JOKE. If I have too many leftovers I can the rest in beef broth- goes perfect over egg noodles. Good luck.
This gentleman knows what he speaks! It can be very good pulled. An alternative to the bacon method is to smoke until the meat is 150 internal. Then foil with beef broth seasoned with pepper and garlic. Then cook until the meat is about 200 internal and pulls easy from the bone. Shred and then mix the meat with some of the broth. It is wonderful. I have hunted deer for over 25 years and really enjoy the meat when properly prepared.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

We smoke ours in foil pans with a layer of bacon on top. Also make some slits in the meat and put garlic in the slits. Couple of hours uncovered then seal up with foil the rest of the time. Depending if you want sliced or pulled, 165 to 200 internal. We like ours to 200 and as said in earlier post, mixed back in with the juices usually turns out great.