MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Default A little Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Shrimp....

I was just down at South Padre Island last week and picked up some freshly caught large Gulf Shrimp. Decided to try this recipe out.

Cleaned, pealed and butterflied the shrimp.

I then sprinkled some rub on them, placed in zip lock bag and put in the fridge overnight.

Before the Cowboy game, I started to prep them. Here's the fixings (a little 1/2 cooked bacon, cream cheese mix and shrimp)

Got them all wrapped up and ready to go in the smoker

Put on the smoker, with the Cowboy game going on in the background.

After about 40 minutes, there were done. (I had to hurry to get this pic as the family was ready to dive into them)

This was the first time trying this and I would do a couple of things differently. One would be do spice up the cream cheese mix as it was kind of bland, even with marinating the shrimp with rub. I also used probably a couple too many wood chunks and the shrimp were a bit too smoky. Overall a good cook and they were good to eat while watching the disappointment of the Cowboy game.

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Those look like they didnt suck!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I could pound a whole lot of those.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Try some pepper jack cheese instead of cream cheese. I don't even like pepper jack, but once I switched on an almost identical recipe, I never looked back.

Thank me later!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Guess you'll have to try'em again....and again.....and again. Practice makes perfect

They do look good from here, though.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Dabaras
On the road to being a farker

I do something similar but with Jack cheese and a large sliver of serrano pepper.
Dabaras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking grub!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Grumpy Habenero
Found some matches.

I love spicy! Throw some spicy peppers (Jalepenos, Serranos, or Habeneros) in with the cream cheese and they would be even better!

How did you 1/2 cook your bacon exactly? Oven? Skillet? What?
Grumpy Habenero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Those do look good!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

Those look really good. Shrimp, like fish, will soak up the smoke if your not careful. In my experience, 1 chunk of cherry or apple wood the size of a peach is just about perfect. I love me some shrimps!

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

"That's my number one favorite food wrapped around my number three favorite food. I'd go to a banquet in honor of those Somali pirates if they served bacon-wrapped shrimp."
-Ron Swanson

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Oh my wife would love you!!!!!!
Sadly I can't eat seafood

Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
"That's my number one favorite food wrapped around my number three favorite food. I'd go to a banquet in honor of those Somali pirates if they served bacon-wrapped shrimp."
-Ron Swanson
Funny stuff!

Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
16Adams

Default Bro-chit

Shrimp Brochettes is a classic appetizer as well as main dish. We use jalapeño slices and pepper jack or string cheese. These two will stand up better to the heat and not melt out-as bad. Mozzarella stick slicers work as well. We use thin sliced bacon to wrap. It stretches better and is easier to encompass the shrimp. I set them offset in grill and then finis up direct to crisp the bacon. A lemon butter dipping sauce goes great.

Pretty awesome when you can pick it up fresh, cook it and watch it be devoured
Thanks for sharing. Looks delicious and most importantly like a fun cook.