The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
bbqmike_ny
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Todays cook, need newb advice

I put a 5lb flat and 7lbs boston on around 8:30, the flat is already @ 160 (bbq @ 260) is it likely to stall at 170 for hours? it doesn't look dried out yet, I'm using a water pan.

The shoulder is only in the 120 range, I just flipped their positions thinking one side maybe a bit colder than the other. (I don't want to keep opening it to move the probe around.
bbqmike_ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

A 5# brisket flat is unlikely to stall at any temp, that's a tricky small piece to Q. I'd be tempted to butcher paper wrap it at 170 and finish it in the oven. Then you can bumpthe smoker up to 300 to power the butt thru the stall and take til probe- tender all over. You can get away with a shorter rest on the butt, and the flat should be done awhile before, allowing a longer wrapped rest( which it will need). Good luck!

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
bbqmike_ny
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
A 5# brisket flat is unlikely to stall at any temp, that's a tricky small piece to Q. I'd be tempted to butcher paper wrap it at 170 and finish it in the oven. Then you can bumpthe smoker up to 300 to power the butt thru the stall and take til probe- tender all over. You can get away with a shorter rest on the butt, and the flat should be done awhile before, allowing a longer wrapped rest( which it will need). Good luck!
In the oven around 250? I could do that, I'd rather get a good result even if it's not on the Q the whole time.

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
bbqmike_ny
Knows what a fatty is.

I did put it in the oven, and put the probe in the shoulder, it hit 170, and I bumped it up to 300. The flat is probe tender with a toothpick in the thin side, but still not in the fatter side, will give it some more time.

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

When checking a brisket for probe tender, whether it is a whole packer, or a flat, always probe it in the thickest part of the flat. Don't worry about the thinner areas. If that thickest part is done, the whole thing is done.

If I was going to finish a butt or brisket in the oven, I'd use 300-325.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
bbqmike_ny
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
When checking a brisket for probe tender, whether it is a whole packer, or a flat, always probe it in the thickest part of the flat. Don't worry about the thinner areas. If that thickest part is done, the whole thing is done.

If I was going to finish a butt or brisket in the oven, I'd use 300-325.
One thing I'm not sure of just how tender it "really" should be, I'm using a toothpick since my "probes" are fat and blunt. Its up to 212 now, kinda feel like taking it out and resting it but still wrapped tight.

Took the shoulder off already and am resting that, it was up to 192, and looked really good, tender everywhere.

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

Use your temperature probe to test for probe tender.

And probe tender would be like sticking the probe into a stick of warm butter. Very little resistance. Another analogy (which bludawg used) the first feeling of hot monkey love you got in the back of your 56 chevy at a drive in movie theatre

Unread 09-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
bbqmike_ny
Knows what a fatty is.

Should turned out well, brisket was a little dry, but tasty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-15 15.25.16.jpg (108.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-09-15 15.29.56.jpg (97.1 KB, 57 views)

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
bbqmike_ny
Knows what a fatty is.

is it common to get a bone shaped like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-15 15.31.47.jpg (74.5 KB, 43 views)

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Yup thats the shoulder blade.

What I like is how clean it pulled out for you. That means perfect pulled most likely. When a competitor pulls that bone out like that its like pulling out a splinter. The relief is so awesome.

Brisket flats are tough. They will benefit with a foil wrap with some savory liquid. Helps them from drying out. A mop is always good too.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like you nailed that butt.

Unread 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
jeffturnerjr
is one Smokin' Farker