ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
mattdean1003
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Oh Weber Kettle, WHY are you so good to me...

Have decided that the Weber Kettle is certainly mans best invention. The wheel WAS invented from the Kettle, right?

My dad bought my stepmom a standard 22.5 OTS (I think its a OTS, it's the basic black Weber Kettle with an ashpan and the One Touch damper cleaner) for like 50 bucks last year and they're used it pretty much every other day lol. At any rate, last night the girlfriend and I decided we wanted grilled chicken. Didn't wanna load my Performer up into the back of my Blazer so I borrowed the regular Kettle, and man oh man, once you learn to cook on one it's so hard to cook on anything else.

Piled the coals to one side with 2 oak chunks and put the drumsticks with skin on and completely rubbed down with Bovine Bold and Yardbird on the other side, indirect. After 1.5 hours, skin was mostly crispy and the chikken laigs were done. Easily the JUICIEST chicken I have ever cooked. No idea what the kettle was running at as theirs doesn't have a thermometer built into the lid, but I had the drumsticks layered across one another because I ran out of room and they were STILL crispy, on indirect. Plowboys will be in my cabinet from now on...that stuff is good.

Like the kettle REALLY needs another great review but there was mine. Going to smoke a pork loin on it today. Hmmm....half rubbed, half salt and pepper...The girlfriend's parents aren't really big on the rubs because they give them heartburn so I usually dust theirs a little bit, but mine I load down lol. I've got the little charcoal holders that came with my Performer so I may try using them and putting the pork loin in the center of the weber.

Chikken? Chicken. Chix. Don't be chicken.
mattdean1003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
BMCSRET

You said it, the kettle is tried and true one of the all time champs.

Unread 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
peeps
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 5

Kettle is hard to beat!

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

It was probably cooking 350-400 degrees. High heat chicken is the only way to go.
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
sslak

Yep, I cook my chicken on the Weber kettle around 400 degrees. HOT HOT HOT for chicken!

You really don't even need the coal holders, just pile it up on one side, put the meat on the other. There's really no reason to put the meat in the middle and coals on each side...coals on one side works just fine.

For me, a chimney filled with Kingsford blue to the top row of holes, lit and mostly white before I dump them, will run right around 400 with my vents wide open.
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
DDH79
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslak View Post
Yep, I cook my chicken on the Weber kettle around 400 degrees. HOT HOT HOT for chicken!

You really don't even need the coal holders, just pile it up on one side, put the meat on the other. There's really no reason to put the meat in the middle and coals on each side...coals on one side works just fine.

For me, a chimney filled with Kingsford blue to the top row of holes, lit and mostly white before I dump them, will run right around 400 with my vents wide open.
Same here!
DDH79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
uncblue

I picked up a Performer off of CL about 3 weeks ago & I agree, Weber did it right!!! I've been firing that thing up at least 3-4 a week..It cooks insanely well, no flare ups, temps as high as I wanna go, and just so damn easy to get going and snuff out...Love playing with positioning of the upper vent for temp adjustment & really getting to know the grill...

I've had the temp guage pegged out a few times..What you guess the grate temp is when you have her wide open?

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yep. the question about your favorite grill or if you could only have one, etc keep coming up and so many choose the weber kettle. i choose it also for many reasons.
but then i will probably hide a weber charcoal go-anywhere inside it !

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
jeffturnerjr
is one Smokin' Farker

well done!

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Tonybel
is Blowin Smoke!

Weber is the best!

Unread 09-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Can't beat a Kettle for versatility. While I have several cookers, I find myself using my old Bar-B-Q-Kettle quite often. Smoke, grill, bake, whatever, Webers do it all well!

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Grain Belt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslak View Post

The basket coal holders allow for a longer burn in my opinion. With two indirect zone and a cool zone in the middle you can maximize the height of the kettle for things like 18 lb. turkeys or I like to do things on a homemade "hover grill grate" which allows me to do two levels of wings or drummies. Every method has its pros and cons
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote