The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #31
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default High Tech

Salmon- one beer
Steak- 2 beers
Chicken- 4 beers
Briskets/butts etc 10beers

Seriously though. Thermapen for chicken

Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #32
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I don't even have a thermometer in the drum I use for cooking comps. Got a analog in the new cube.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #33
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just the thermometer on the grill and one on the lid here.

As said, cut a piece of chicken to tell if it's done if needed

Be careful who you step on on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #34
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Amen brother, thats what I'm talking about. I'm going to try it and see if I can pull it off.
I'll be honest with you, the Mavericks and the well placed oven thermometers really helped me learn, ALOT and very fast. However, it wasn't too many cooks later that I realized that I wasn't watching as intently, and frankly didn't need to do so. I had the fire management down pat, and learned the "feel" of it in the correct temps, quit trying to fight it, and darned if I didn't stop using all of that digital crap.

While I no longer use them, they were extremely helpful.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
I think all these electronic device are making people to dependent on them.. Like they wont be able to cook if the device stops working.. wtf.. what happened to BBQing.. i think much to many of our fellow BBQuers have gotten way to dependent on devices.. IMHO
Agree with this fo sho. While I sometimes use a remote temp probe I find I have the most fun when I keep it simple with a pit thermo and without all the extra hubbub.

To me relying solely on air controllers and meat probes without knowing how to do it on the fly without that help is like going out to sea and relying solely on GPS to get you there and back without actually knowing how to navigate by compass and charts. What happens if GPS fails???

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

he is talking about ZERO instruments, including thermometers of any kind
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #37
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Just the analog thermometer on my Lang. Sometimes verify finished temp with a regular meat thermometer, but usually just pull it by time.
CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN
CTC - KCBS
4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team
270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
he is talking about ZERO instruments, including thermometers of any kind
Correct, Although I'm very glad to know there are traditionalist out there keeping it simple. I don't have an issue with thermometers, but sometimes I get caught up in the "oh crap, I'm 15 degrees hot" stuff. To me it adds a small amount of stress that could be eliminated by taking the thermo off the pit. That will force me to master fire management and like others have said, sit back an relax!

My next (non-competition) cook im going to unscrew my thermo, plug the whole with some foil, and let her rip.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I do like having the Tel-Tru on the pit itself. I want to have SOME idea of the pit temp.

I have a ThermaPen (the fastest one, BTW ), but over time I find I use it more as a tenderness probe rather than checking actual temps.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #40
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

I asked a question in this vain yesterday regarding ribs and the 3-2-1 method. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=170790

I'm trying to understand what features to look for with the meat while it's cooking to judge when it's done, when to wrap, etc because it seems like there is no such thing as hard and fast times to go by and every piece of meat is different anyway. That one pellet guy on BBQ Pitmasters this past season who was a butcher drove that point home for me as his basic understanding of meat seemed to give him a big leg up.

Seems that things like color and (obviously) whether its probe-tender are key variables to look for. Am all ears if y'all have some other non-technology, non-time-related secrets that you use.

Am hoping to do a couple of competitions at some point in the future but am a firm believer that I have to learn the most basic fishing techniques before I go out and buy the BEST boat, rod, reel, lures, sonars, etc. That stuff is fine and I'm not against it but can see that it becomes a trap door if you only learn how to 'Q using that stuff.
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
I think all these electronic device are making people to dependent on them.. Like they wont be able to cook if the device stops working.. wtf.. what happened to BBQing.. i think much to many of our fellow BBQuers have gotten way to dependent on devices.. IMHO
AMEN!!!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
cowgirl

I smoke old school on my horizontal wood burner, cinderblock pit, underground pit and open flame cooking. My drums have built in thermos though.
Still haven't convinced myself to buy a Thermapen....just haven't found a need for it yet.
Blog name added to photos to slow down folks posting them elsewhere as their own. Sorry! :/
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #43
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I once had an old Mazda Protégé which somehow had lost the function of it's speedometer, but having driven it for so long I knew what the RPMs were at various speeds and I drove that old Mazda for a couple of years like that. Just like with that car, if you know your pit you don't need a bunch of contraptions to know how well it's performing. In my old NB Black Diamond I know by the size of my fire as to what kind of temperature I'll have in the cooking area and I know exactly how often I need to feed a stick to it to maintain the heat. The pit has a thermometer on it but it's off by at least 50 degrees due to the fact that it's a really cheap one and it was placed by the manufacturer at the top of the lid where the temp is way hotter than at cooking grate level. My new pit has several Tel-Tru's on it and they are very accurate but I'm getting to know how big to make my fires and how to maintain them to hold certain temps. In time I'll be able to cook on the new pit with the same confidence as I did with the old NB. I'll never use a Guru or Stoker and at the end of the day it's all about what the meat looks and feels like as to weather it's done or not. I do have a cheap cordless leave in thermometer that I bought at a grocery store for about $15.00 and I use that from time to time to give me a ballpark idea of what the internal temp is on a brisket or a pork butt but it is certainly not a necessity and if it crapped out on me, life would still go on because I know how long it takes to cook a brisket or a butt on my pit. I feel sorry for the people out there that have gotten so dependent on technology. They're missing the really great things about making Q and those are the rewards derived from an awesome piece of meat that you have created from a tough, almost useless cut that otherwise would have been ground into hamburger or sausage and doing it with your knowledge of fire management and your pit. Q is not just a backyard pastime for some of us, it's a tradition and a real art!

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #44
BBQ_MAFIA

When cooking at home on m Langs we only use the Tel Tru that are on the cooker.

Beyond that it's time, beer, and a chair to watch the fire.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #45
bananablack
Full Fledged Farker

I only use a thermometer, but I am not against other devices. With todays prices of meats if you needs the extra insurance to make the end product come out better with a lower chance of waste due to over/undercooking im all for it.