The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Team Names - Are they registered?

Brethren,

Does anyone know if team names are registered and if so, where?

I am thinking of doing a competition one of these days, just to say I did.

I have a team name in mind and wondered if it should be registered.

Thanks!

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Offset, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

If it is a KCBS sanctioned competition, KCBS tracks team names and they are listed on their site...

http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php

For other sanctioning bodies, I am not sure.

There is also an independent database of team names, but it is not a registry.

http://www.bbqteamnames.com/

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

I do KCBS events and before I started competing I did some catering under a name. well when I went to do mu 1st comp another team already had that name so I had to revamp my name.
I would check the KCBS site and become a member or what ever organization you wish to compete under then check the team names in their database that is registered.

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Also Google, Yahoo, and Bing the name. And to avoid problems later, make sure it ain't trademarked.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

Will do! Thanks!

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Offset, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Fat Freddy
Take a breath!

One thing I would add is that if the name you want/cant live without is already in use you could add your state/county/city to the name. Just to name a few buddies of mine that have that kind of name Iowa Wild Hogs, Grills Gone Wild Iowa etc.

Unread 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
If it is a KCBS sanctioned competition, KCBS tracks team names and they are listed on their site...

http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php

For other sanctioning bodies, I am not sure.

There is also an independent database of team names, but it is not a registry.

http://www.bbqteamnames.com/

Ron, respectfully, I wouldnt put much stock in these. Google will be your friend. Use double quotes.

For example, search for:

"Bubba Grills"

"Lake Dogs"

"Lake Dogs Cooking"

. . .

Unread 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
One thing I would add is that if the name you want/cant live without is already in use you could add your state/county/city to the name. Just to name a few buddies of mine that have that kind of name Iowa Wild Hogs, Grills Gone Wild Iowa etc.
^^^ Yup. Keep in mind that KCBS (or presumably any of the other governing/sanctioning bodies) don't technically regulate or manage the use of team names. There's probably some disclaimer language on their site somewhere stating that it's up to the TEAM to ensure that their name is unique etc...

To echo Fat Freddy, adding a location of some sort will at least help you differentiate when it comes to scoring between teams with the same name. My team is based in Kansas City and as luck would have it, there was another Big Iron BBQ competing in California. Nice enough guys, but their Q was even worse than ours! So when it came time to look us up in the scoring DB, we were showing up in 3 states. KS, MO and CA. With the help of some super nice folks @ KCBS, we updated to Big Iron BBQ KS and have had zero problems since!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose BRIGHT GREEN superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote