The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
bmikiten
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Timer Questions

I've done quite a bit of reading and enjoyed the information on this site and had a few questions before I delve into my first contest.

1) I'm going to observe the Hill Country event in San Marcos next weekend and was reading the rules. They are turning in one half a chicken instead of thighs. How is this tasted by multiple judges?

2) They require a food service license. Is this common in all contests? I don't read much about this. I've read the thread on safe handling rules.

Anyone else going to be there?

Thanks

Brian
bmikiten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
jeffturnerjr
is one Smokin' Farker

I looked into it a little bit...
1,) to answer first q, this a lone star society sanctioned event, they do the half chicken instead of whatever you desire. They place a plastic knife in your turn in box and the judges each pass around your box, cut a piece off with a knife....judge it up.
2.) I just did QUITE a bit of searching on the web and see NOTHING about needing a license for the event. There will be food vendors for the fun stuff so that's where those guys will do need a license to sell. The only time you ever need a license is to sell.

Here is a link to the rules for the event:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=18d81e158c

Hope this helps!

Unread 09-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the forum. In Texas (IBCA, LSBS) half chicken is the norm. The judges can not touch the meat. They use a plastic fork and knife to sample the meat.

It does not say any thing about the license in the flyer. Might just be for vending. I would cook this event except I am already cooking my hometown the same day.

http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com/wp-c...OBBQflyer2.pdf

TOO SLOW. Dang.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
bruno994
On the road to being a farker

Quick suggestion, don't just go observe, call the promoter see if they need some more judges and volunteer to judge. This will drastically reduce your learning curve once you jump in to the ring. Go early, walk around and observe, then when it's time, go judge.
Most of all, have fun!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^ +1 Judge if you can!

Unread 09-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
bmikiten
Knows what a fatty is.

Great thought on the judging. I called and they have positions available! I appreciate the idea. I can't wait!

Brian
bmikiten is offline   Reply With Quote