MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Default My First Comp Turn in boxes

I thought I would share pics of my turn ins. I have learned a lot here, obviously not enough yet :)

Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I will presume you would like others input about the boxes, so I will chime in. First the standard disclaimer that scoring from a picture may be more critical to your score than at the table.

Chicken: Quick score 7, possibly 8 - The color looks "ok" could maybe be a little less red, may be the picture. Not dipped in sauce is ok with me. I don't care so much about perfect size, but the front middle piece just pulls the eye directly to it, if you had another piece closer in size to the other 2 would help.

Ribs: Quick score again, 7 probably 8 at the table - color is very good, but the ribs are cut to uneven size, that draws the eye to the small piece on the left. It doesn't look like the ribs are all from the same rack, or at least not in the order cut from the rack, that will make it look more uniform. Again not dripping sauce is ok with me. The rib across the front looks lost, maybe show the cut edge up to make it different.

Pork: This one is tuff, do I comment that the sliced money muscle looks like a burnt male appendage? Disregarding that I think this could be a nice box, score an 8 maybe 9 if you fanned out the muscle. The chunks look great with lots of bark, the pulled may look a little dry, but might be the picture.

Brisket: 7 maybe 8 - The color is a little light on the slices, doesn't look like bark developed. The slices are very thick, judges are not "supposed" to scored down for that, but I bet many do. The cubes look a little out of place, having the 2 at the top, then 5 in a row unbalances the box, maybe 3 over 5 would look better, or 2 rows of 5.

Decent work, but could be improved some. Notice I didn't even comment on garnish, I never even look at it, lol. The garnish looks ok, but some of the meat looks like it is sinking a bit into it.

If you have your scores and post later would be interesting. Keep cooking!
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Everything looks dry. A light sauce or a spray of apple juice or water goes a long way...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Chicken, 7 to 8, so means give benefit of doubt, 8. Color is a bit peculiar, almost Indian food red, like it "glows"... Not bad though. I like the more natural chicken thighs; does look dry as others said. Improve with a little glistening sauce or a quick spritz.

Ribs, 7 at best. Burnt?

Pork, 7 at best. Is that a burnt **** up top? Easily fixed with a little glistening sauce and spread the MM out (feather it).

Brisket, 6. It just doesnt work for me. To me, there's nothing that says "thou must eat me right now, dangit". Feather the meat back to display it. Burnt Ends / cubs; at bottom or on side, something other than preventing the slices from being displayed...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Presentation scores

Chicken 889888, the pic doesn't show the color correctly. I struggled to get the 6 pieces I did from the 24 we cooked. I need a new supplier, I have been told to go to organic but I need to get consistent sizes.

Ribs 787789, I sauced then set the sauce but I should have sauced again

Pork 778878, that is a meteor/MM at top. It should have never made it to the box :)

Brisket 987878, the brisket looks better than it tasted, hell ... I didn't even like it
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

IMHO:

Chicken: 7-8. It does look a little dry, but I want to eat it regardless. That middle piece on the bottom is just too small to me. It takes away from the other pieces, as that's what my eye fixes on, and it won't let go.

Ribs: 7-8 as said before, the front rib looks like it just got eliminated from musical chairs. The slices vary in size quite a bit as well.

Pork: 8 I love those chunks. They look great. The pulled may be a little dry, but that is easily fixable as is the...ummm...phallic MM. Fan out the MM, a little sauce or a spritz on the pulled, and I think this is a 9.

Brisket: 6. Did you overcook it? If not, why did you slice it so thick? My initial reaction is that it's overcooked, but doesn't have much color, which is...odd. Maybe you wrapped too soon? Either way, I would show off the meat more, and straighten out the row of BEs. Either just 6 (or 7 if you can) in a row, or make 2 even rows. FWIW, I think the ends look really appetizing.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Short answer on the slices was bad technique and wrong equipment. I tried to get the thickness of a pencil, it was cooked very well IMO, my rub sucked on it but that is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
IMHO:

Chicken: 7-8. It does look a little dry, but I want to eat it regardless. That middle piece on the bottom is just too small to me. It takes away from the other pieces, as that's what my eye fixes on, and it won't let go.

Ribs: 7-8 as said before, the front rib looks like it just got eliminated from musical chairs. The slices vary in size quite a bit as well.

Pork: 8 I love those chunks. They look great. The pulled may be a little dry, but that is easily fixable as is the...ummm...phallic MM. Fan out the MM, a little sauce or a spritz on the pulled, and I think this is a 9.

Brisket: 6. Did you overcook it? If not, why did you slice it so thick? My initial reaction is that it's overcooked, but doesn't have much color, which is...odd. Maybe you wrapped too soon? Either way, I would show off the meat more, and straighten out the row of BEs. Either just 6 (or 7 if you can) in a row, or make 2 even rows. FWIW, I think the ends look really appetizing.
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va

Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
BMCSRET
On the road to being a farker

Great input on this thread for those of us contemplating the jump into comp. Thanks for all of the great input.