Ribs

Bubba

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever turned in baby back Ribs and ST Louis cut spares together?

Cooked them side x side one time and it was a tossup which ones went in the box, but it wasn't both.

I wouldn't do both in the box unless you can fit 6 of each (assuming a KCBS competition). I think that it's a bad idea to have less than 6 pieces or portions of anything in the box. One judge may really want a spare or a baby back and may not get one because they were all taken by the time the box got to him or her.

Why would you ever consider doing that? Just curious.....

Not that you need any extra help on your ribs, bubba, but we have not. Like Ronelle said, if you can get 6 of each in the box and keep it from looking awkward, then I say let her rip! You will have judge's that don't "get it", but I think the ones that do would be impressed. That is of course if you can cook each perfectly, which shouldn't be a problem for you. :wink:

I normally cook St Louis style for comps but a few week ago cooked three racks of baby backs as well just to see how they did. only one rack of my St Louis's turned out worth a ****, and I had some nice looking and tasting baby backs that were better than the St Louis. I tried to get 6 of each in the box but they wouldn't fit. ended up turning in the St Louis. Middle of the pack. Should have gone with the baby backs.

Back