The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Experience with Lumber Jack pellets?????

Does anyone have first hand experience with Lumber Jack pellets?

Their parent company, Great Lakes renewable energy is right next door in Wisconsin and I can get 2000# shipped to my door for $.35/lb.

At $.35/lb this is by far the best price I have found. My understanding is that it has to be a shipment of one type of pellet, I usually mix my pellets anyway so their oak/hickory/cherry or maple/hickory/cherry would fit the bill nicely.

Befor I have a ton of pellets dropped in my drive, I thought I should ask the brethren. So, what say the brethren?

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

I'm pretty sure Nucornhusker is using Lumberjack pellets with his Yoder with great results.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Is he, I wasn't sure, he and I have talked about it before but I thought he was using cookingpellets.com. I can't find the thread where he and I talked about it, I'm sure he'll check in. Thanks

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Yep, I use Lumberjacks. I've been happy with them and the price I get them for also. If you order, make sure you get some MHC. Those pellets are awesome.

The Yoder's are designed to run optimal with BBQr's Delight, but I have had good results with Lumberjacks, as well as BBQr's Delight.

How's that YS640 working for you, Jonesy?
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Yep, I use Lumberjacks. I've been happy with them and the price I get them for also. If you order, make sure you get some MHC. Those pellets are awesome.

How's that YS640 working for you, Jonesy?
The 640 is awesome, I'm cooking on it so much I need bulk pellets for sure.

Do you prefer the MHC over the OHC? It seems the oak would give a little stronger flavor over the maple. My understanding is that my bulk order will be one type of pellet only. I just need to decide between OHC and MHC. It's my understanding that most pellets that aren't 100% flavor wood are mixed with oak.

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
The 640 is awesome, I'm cooking on it so much I need bulk pellets for sure.

Do you prefer the MHC over the OHC? It seems the oak would give a little stronger flavor over the maple. My understanding is that my bulk order will be one type of pellet only. I just need to decide between OHC and MHC. It's my understanding that most pellets that aren't 100% flavor wood are mixed with oak.
You can mix flavors on a pallet, it's just a $25 upcharge. I've mixed pallets every order.

MHC & OHC are like 1 and 1a. I say order both and see which you like best. I like OHC a lot also, but there is just something about the MHC I like a touch better (I know, the answer is Maple). . I much prefer cooking with Oak over Maple, but for whatever reason I prefer MHC by a tiny bit.

You can order Hickory, Cherry, Maple, Apple or Mesquite as 100%, or 60% Red Oak/40% Flavor wood. Pecan is the only one you can't order 100%. I've asked why that is, and it's due to a lack of demand. However the 100% Apple and Mesquite both cost more where every other wood flavor is the same price.

I have also taken 3 parts MHC to 1 part 100% Apple and mixed them together to have a equal parts Apple, Maple, Hickory, Cherry. Those are really good also, but cost more due to the added price of the 100% Apple.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome info, thanks. It looks like I need to come up with a 2,000 lb combo and give them a call.