MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Discussion Thread -> "Show Off Your Heritage!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Our new TD category is...

"Show Off Your Heritage!"

As chosen by Bluesman for his stellar win in the "Show Off Your Pies!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman

"Show off your Heritage" Tell us were your ancestors came from and then cook up a meal which you feel, defines your ancestry and heritage. You can go back as many generations as you like. So start climbing that family tree. Oh and NO SPECIAL RULES.
Hmmm...looks like tacos and pizza will be out for me on this TD!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/6 through Sunday 9/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 9/16.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 09-16-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Have a few ideas, but going out of town tomorrow night for work. We'll have to see if I can fit it in
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Default Brats w/ Sauerkraut

This is my entry for the "Show Off Your Heritage" throwdown. My relatives are from Germany. The first thing that came to my mind was sausage, sauerkraut, brats and beer. So, I decided to make beer brats with sauerkraut.

I am fresh out of my homemade brats so I had to go to the grocery store and pick some up. I went with cheddar brats (which are my favorite).

I throw my brats on the grill and begin cooking.

While the brats are starting to cook, I am laying down a bed of sauerkraut and putting it in a foil pan.

The sauerkraut look lonely in there so I grabbed a bottle of my one of my favorite beers and poured it on top of the sauerkraut.

When you brats get close to finished cooking, I take the brats and put them in the pan with the sauerkraut and beer. I then cooked them in the pan for about another 7-10 minutes

After pulling the brats, I put them in buns, topped with some sauerkraut, and finished off with some mustard. All in all, a very simple cook but also a very tasty one.
Please use this entry as my official entry shot:

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I am a major fan of Brats, looks great!
Jed
Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nice brats! I switch between kraut or grilled onions on my brat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

Brats are one of my favorite goods on the grill.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Chris, I wish I had one of them right now, they look good. Sure they're simple but I KNOW they're delicious. Cabbage in all forms is one of my favourite flavour ladders.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
landarc

Here is my entry photo for this Throwdown. My ancestors were from California, at least mom and dad were.

Sorry, this is the best I could do, too much stuff going on.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by landarc; 09-13-2013 at 03:27 PM..
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
My ancestors were from California, at least mom and dad were.

Sorry, this is the best I could do, too much stuff going on.
Is this an entry?

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
landarc

Yes, see where it says this is my entry?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Ron_L

I do now, but I also see where it says "Last edited by landarc; Today at 03:27 PM."

Naked Fatties Rock!

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default Steppegras ® A truly Belgian Dish

Please accept this as my official entry into the "Show off your Heritage" Throwdown!

My wife is Belgian, with that being said, she will tell you that she is a Citizen of the World. Due to its strategic location and the many armies fighting on its soil, Belgium since the Thirty Years War (1618-164 has often been called the "battlefield of Europe" or the cockpit of Europe". It is also remarkable as a European nation which contains, and is divided by, a language boundary between Latin Derived French, and Germanic Dutch.

Belgian cuisine is widely varied with significant regional variations while also reflecting the cuisines of neighboring France, Germany and the Netherlands.
I have chosen one of my favorite recipes that is truly a Regional Treasure from the Limberg region. the following is a translation from the original Dutch text from the website of the creator of this simply wonderful dish.

"In Belgium at that time, of the creation of this dish, the average kitchen (restaurant) was very limited in choices.
The idea actually stemmed from the desire to refine the Belgian fries and beef steak offering and this idea turned out to be, for the patrons, a huge success. In 1970 Jean Ceustermans retired to his native village of Leopold to start his own business and to refined the dish steppegrass ® in its original form.

The dish served only in Leopold, soon enjoyed prominence in Limburg and Antwerp. The guests wishing to sample this new dish had to make reservations as there were long lines at their door to taste it.
There were even people who travelled over 200km from Belgium, Netherlands and Germany to eat the Steppegras ® at the original site."

Enough history lets cook!

I started with fresh Idaho Potatoes and washed them well and pealed the skins. I set up my mandolin for a very thin sliced julienne.

Once sliced they must be soaked to remove the natural sugars and prevent the potatoes from turning brown.

When they are all sliced and washed, I wash them twice, they need to be dried thoroughly to reduce flare-ups in the hot oil and to maintain their crispness.

Placed into a cast iron skillet with peanut oil heated to 375 degrees. Normally with Belgian Fries the secret to their success in obtaining a crispy fry is to twice fry them, however these fries are so thin, a single fry at high temperature is all that is needed.

I had set-up my kamado for direct hot and fast searing of my hand cut Ribeye and got it going while my frites were frying.

Steak cooked to a perfect medium rare and plated after resting with a bit of broccoli slaw.

Time to get my grub on and served with a French Cabernet Sauvignon.

Ah yes, sweet meat and potatoes!

My polling pic, if you please!

Thanks for looking, and I'll keep cookin!

Jed

Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Ron_L

The entry picture is the one above where it says "My polling pic, if you please!", right?

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The entry picture is the one above where it says "My polling pic, if you please!", right?
That is correct, thank you for clarifying that Ron!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Jed you nailed it, nice job. Those potatoes look outstanding........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote