The Great Team Chambers REAL TIME Smoker Relay of 2013

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
OK, here it is.
THE thread documenting the September 7th & 8th BBQ Brethren Smoker Relay to get brother Dan Chambers some of his long missed BBQ gear.

To get a little history on Dan's situation, you have to do a bit of reading.
If you want to do that, start here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123136

On Monday of this week, I saw a FB post of Dan's where he told of his son BBQ'ing a pork butt for the family on Labor Day on an old smoker that was left at the house where they are staying. During the cook, the pit literally fell apart. :twitch:

I thought.....THIS WILL NOT STAND!

So, the next morning I put up this thread to see what could be done to get his stuff to him, which I've been storing at my home since last November.

This is THAT thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170199

As you'll see in the above thread, in less than 24 hours, enough Brethren had stepped up and volunteered to drive/haul his stuff on a "tag team" type relay.
:clap::clap::clap:

In less than 2 days after THAT, other Brethren came out of the woodworks who weren't close enough or able to help with the driving/hauling to donate money to help pay for fuel for the trip. As I type this (and I'm still getting donations now - got one not 15 minutes ago), there has been a total of $1,025 donated to the cause.
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

SO, here's the layout for the trip. I've estimated durations of the different legs of the trip using Google Maps and then calculated departure and arrival times:

ALL TIMES ARE CENTRAL STANDARD TIME

Leg #1: Mooresville, IN to Manito, IL - Wampus
224 mi - 3h 38m, depart 3:00 am, arrive 7:00 am

1/2h load transfer

Leg #2: Manito, IL to Springfield, IL - LTG
56 mi - 1h 15m, depart 7:30 am, arrive 9:00 am

1/2h load transfer

Leg #3: Springfield, IL to St. Louis, MO - 93vpmod
97m - 1h 30m, depart 9:30 am, arrive 11:00 am

1/2h load transfer

Leg #4: St. Louis, MO to Lebanon, MO - nthole
163m - 2h 26m, depart 11:30 am, arrive 2:00 pm

1/2h load transfer

Leg #5: Lebanon, MO to Joplin, MO - Outnumbered
125m - 1h 56m, depart 2:00 pm, arrive 4:00 pm

1/2h load transfer

Leg #6: Joplin, MO to Norman, OK - Captain Caveman
234m - 3h 31m, depart 4:00 pm, arrive 7:30 pm

1/2h load transfer

Leg #7: Norman, OK to Burleson, TX - SmittyJonz
198m - 2h 57m, depart 7:30 pm, arrive 10:30 pm

GET SOME FARKIN SLEEP SMITTY!

Leg #8: Burleson, TX to Taylor, TX - caseydog
147m - 2h 20m, depart 8 am, arrive 10:30 am

1hr load time and BBQ at Meuller's! (lucky bastiges)

Leg #9: Taylor, TX to DAN'S PLACE in San Antonio, TX (78245 zip) - mikemci
143m - 2h 5m, depart 11:30 am, arrive 1:30 pm

I think there may be a detail or two that's changed in that itinerary, but it's pretty close.

SO....here we go.

I just got finished going through Dan's trailer and grabbing a few more things that he asked about and loaded the pits after a good cleaning.

We're ready to get this CONVOY a'rollin!

Taking the Big Steel Keg, the small BGE, some chairs a couple of boxes with some misc BBQ accessories, his week burner, his chimney starter and a charcoal bin.

Loaded....

P9060089_zps3df39215.jpg

P9060090_zpsdcaedfe8.jpg

I'm off to bed. Gotta get some sleep. Not really worried though....I'm a professional competition BBQ'er so I've gotten used to long drives and not a lot of sleep! :heh:

I'll post here when I leave the house.
We're planning on having pictures taken at each drop and they'll be posted in this thread, so KEEP A WATCHIN!

If you pray, please pray for the drivers for a safe trip.
If you don't pray....how about praying just this once? :wink:
If you offer good vibes, positive thoughts or otherwise well wishes, then by all means....do THAT!

Here's to nice weather, smooth roads and the BBQ BRETHREN! :tea:

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Your a fantastic lot, I'm proud to be a member here:thumb:

Well, slap my butt and call me, "Sally." I am still blown away by all of the generosity. You won't find any better folks than on the Brethren and ya can't have a better friend than Kempis.

To everyone in the tag team, please take care of my babies, but most importantly, take care of yourselves. God grant y'all safe travels!

Looking forward to lots of pictures.

The brethren have stepped up!

Awesome job to all that are helping drive and have donated. Be safe in your travels and looks like you will get some of your gear to put out some great Q at your place Chambers.

Wampus, thanks for putting this together.

And everyone who has volunteered to drive a leg, thank you.

May the Creator God and Lord of Hosts sit in the empty seat to your right and may He guide you and protect you all in your travels.

The brethren have stepped up!

Awesome job to all that are helping drive and have donated. Be safe in your travels and looks like you will get some of your gear to put out some great Q at your place Chambers.

I'm still bedridden, so I can't cook, but my kids can and will. Yay.
I pray to get into a wheelchair soon. Lord willing, I'll walk again, despite what my new doctor says.

I pray to get into a wheelchair soon. Lord willing, I'll walk again, despite what my new doctor says.

Keep that fighting attitude and work hard to walk again.

You will have your cookers that your family can use as opposed to the pit that was falling apart. Even if you can't cook on them, you can enjoy the food that is prepared from them!

I have "The BBQ Song" stuck in my head. I think this adventure caused it. I cannot post it, cause my tablet doesn't let me. Anyone care to post it so everyone can have it in their heads? :)

I wish you the best and know a determined brother like you will walk again!!!
I know soon we'll see a pic of you standing there smokin and grinnin :biggrin1:

Pulling out of the driveway now.
Sorry guys. About 1.5 hours behind.

GRRRRRR!!!!!!

BUT......we've got ourselves a CONVOY!

Be safe brothers and keep those eyes open and stay between the lines!!!

A bit extra sleep sure won't hurt you, don't push too hard to make up that time.

What an awesome bunch of people here on this forum :clap2:
I feel very lucky to be part of such a great group :thumb:

Good work to all who are helping out, I don't know of another group of people that don't know each other personally that would do something like this. I pray that you all will have safe travel.

Roll on Highway. Roll on Crew

Oh, and keep it between the ditches!!!!

Fuel stop. Didn't have time last night to fill er up.

Card just got declined at gas station.

WTH?

SOMEONE is tryin to thwart our efforts it would seem.
But....the Brethren will not be thwarted!!!

"It's time to put the hammer down!" :laugh:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI5eT4UmyFY"]Convoy Music Video - YouTube[/ame]

Back