The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A Jack draw discussion......for Hawaii

This is a sincere and honest question as it pertains to the state of Hawaii regarding a Jack draw. There will be no representative from the state of Hawaii this year, to my knowledge.

For the record, I am going to be f5ing all day hoping to see what friends of ours have made the Jack draw. I seriously have no dog in this fight.....honestly!! I guess I'm just sticking up for the USA's 50th state.

Hawaii teams have a one shot deal at gaining a Jack draw. Hawaii has an auto draw for the 15 team, 3rd year event, IBCA Hilo Bay Cook Off. This year it was won by a TX team.

I know, as most comp teams know, that a 15 team competition, 3rd year event is not a Jack draw. My understanding, and I may be very wrong, is that a 10 team sanctioned event in Hawaii is a Jack draw. This was told to me by the organizer and based on the 2012 Hilo Bay event.

So the real question is, as it pertains to Hawaii, what should allow a Hawaii team to represent their home state? Cook better, yes I agree. But with nothing to gauge competition cooking besides one sanctioned event, what is the answer?

Honestly, this is not sour grapes...just want some info and discussion.

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

This is a similar matter with Alaska for a few years until their BBQ club was built up in size and held more than one contest a year they didn't stand a chance. And even at that I think they have only had "local" representation twice? It's really no different that some of the states out west for a long time several only had 1 or 2 state championships now they give them out like candy........
Backwoods Chubby
http://sexyslabs.com

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

If you really want discussion... how do you think those Hawaiian teams would do at the Jack?

People can discuss what the Jack is and is not, but even if you think he is a D-bag for sand bagging he worked harder and spent more money "earning" that spot. Personally I think it is BS that there is one spot for the THOUSANDS of Texas teams while there is one spot for the dozen teams in Hawaii.

However, I do think it is fair.

Now that you mention it... do you have a WSM I can borrow next year?
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
If you really want discussion... how do you think those Hawaiian teams would do at the Jack?

People can discuss what the Jack is and is not, but even if you think he is a D-bag for sand bagging he worked harder and spent more money "earning" that spot. Personally I think it is BS that there is one spot for the THOUSANDS of Texas teams while there is one spot for the dozen teams in Hawaii.

However, I do think it is fair.

Respectfully, that was kinda of a slap in the face to Hawaii cooks, some of who have competed for years in sanctioned events on the mainland. Would they likely do good, no. Would they support their state with pride, yes. Sorry bro, you missed the point of the discussion. It's a point of pride!!

No one said he was D-Bag. Rules are rules and no team that flew here broke them.

I totally agree that it is a bummer that there is a 1 spot for TX. Travel to LA, travel to NM, travel to AZ...you'll have a better chance.

Is it fair based on the current rules...yes!!

Is it ethical, you be the judge. Hawaii cooks can't drive anywhere.

Like I said...it's a discussion.

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaway View Post
This is a similar matter with Alaska for a few years until their BBQ club was built up in size and held more than one contest a year they didn't stand a chance. And even at that I think they have only had "local" representation twice? It's really no different that some of the states out west for a long time several only had 1 or 2 state championships now they give them out like candy........
I honestly think the point of having more than one sanctioned event for HI and AK is the way to go.

We definitely have a long road ahead.

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Absolutely!!

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post

I totally agree that it is a bummer that there is a 1 spot for TX. Travel to LA, travel to NM, travel to AZ...you'll have a better chance.

Is it fair based on the current rules...yes!!

Is it ethical, you be the judge. Hawaii cooks can't drive anywhere.

Like I said...it's a discussion.
Hawaii cooks can fly to other states. If I lived in Hawaii, you bet I would (if I was serious about winning). They have the same opportunity that the Texas team had. Meaning- if you can't make it by winning at home... fly somewhere you can. Would he have looked silly if he lost?

The two state championship contests I competed in my home state this year were won by Missouri teams. Both great guys BTW.

Respectfully, I do not think ethics has a damn thing to do with it. I think you mean "sense of fair play".

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

It's a shame you don't have the same rules as International teams ie if you came over here and won one of our qualifiers the top placed U.K. team placed below you still goes into the drawaswell as you going into your draw.
On a side note I have tried twice to join the Hawaii bbq forum ...is it still active?

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hawaii cooks can fly to other states. If I lived in Hawaii, you bet I would (if I was serious about winning). They have the same opportunity that the Texas team had. Meaning- if you can't make it by winning at home... fly somewhere you can. Would he have looked silly if he lost. lol cough SYD cough SYD

The two state championship contests I competed in my home state this year were won by Missouri teams. Both great guys BTW.

Respectfully, I do not think ethics has a damn thing to do with it. I think you mean "sense of fair play".
Can borrow an extra $1800? I wish I had your cash bro. :)

Same opportunity that the TX team did, cooking a ton of IBCA's...nope. 100% Disagree!! HI cooks have one comp/yr, TX Teams have 20+/yr. Cooking competitively 20+ times a year vs cooking 1 time a year are different. Experience dominates inexperience.

Respectfully, you have 100% missed my point amigo.
Hawaii teams would love to rep their state. That is all. HI teams have the opportunity to compete once a year based on geographical location/finances.

There is no secret to why the teams that fly out here are coming here. Is it unethical...no. It's well with in the rules.

Would you do it??

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Would you do it??
No, I am not a d-bag......

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Can borrow an extra $1800? I wish I had your cash bro. :)

Same opportunity that the TX team did, cooking a ton of IBCA's...nope. 100% Disagree!! HI cooks have one comp/yr, TX Teams have 20+/yr. Cooking competitively 20+ times a year vs cooking 1 time a year are different. Experience dominates inexperience.

Respectfully, you have 100% missed my point amigo.
Hawaii teams would love to rep their state. That is all. HI teams have the opportunity to compete once a year based on geographical location/finances.

There is no secret to why the teams that fly out here are coming here. Is it unethical...no. It's well with in the rules.

Would you do it??
Get a second contest started and you'll see it change. You can still get a team fly in and vacation as well but they won't just come to compete. Back when I started competing Michigan was an automatic state. With the 2nd contest added we had less out of state teams. Also if a HI team wins one of the 2 contests then they will go to the jack as a home state gc if they do not win the draw.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If a contest is the only contest in a state, it's an auto qualifier with only 15 teams. It can even be an auto under other circumstances. In Maine last year, there were 3 contests, but two of those were won by teams that had already auto qualified, so the last contest (a second year event with 24 teams) counted as it was the only remaining event in that state.

Note that if you get more contests in HI, the existing one will require 25 teams to be a qualified event.
If a team from HI flys to the mainland and wins a GC, they will win the "home state" draw. The Jack tries to have a team from every state, so if in a TX team wins in HI, and a HI team wins elsewhere - even in a state with lots of qualfied events - they will still get in.

My wife doesn't like long distance contests, but could probably talk her into doing one there.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
dano
Full Fledged Farker

If HI only has one event that gets 15 teams, how many teams do you think would show up if HI had more comps?
1-800-745-6109
Authorized Stump's Smokers Dealer

dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

I’m sorry Crash .. I have a hard time finding sympathy for anyone that lives in Hawaii. If you ever get in let me know. I’ll come watch your house while you cook in the mud soaked hollow in the rain. :-)

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Buy me a plane ticket and hotel and I'll be on your team next year ! :)
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote