Need some advice

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I have been practicing on my own with my BBQ and have finally started trying more than one type of food at once. Is it really possible to manage to compete as a one man team? None of my friends are interested at my age in BBQ other than eating everything I make lol. Seems like I am always in the old man hobbies as my wife calls them. 26 and cooking BBQ on my front porch like an old man lol. I just am frustrated as I know I can get a nice crispy chicken skin on my legs and well I am starting to run multiple kettle grills as smokers and it is well overwhelming to say the least. I decided to just grill pineapple while I did chicken to try and get a feel for running multiple grills at once. You know that way I can practice without breaking the budget until I get ready for next year. Just to get a feel for running multiple things at once. Anyways my chicken skin came out not right it was done according to meat thermometer but the skin was not crispy. I was a bit sad about this. I am really starting to think that without a real team of people for support that I will never be able to compete successfully. So I guess what I am asking is should I really start to try to form a team a year in advance of actually competing? How do you go about finding people when your friends and family have no interest in it? or should I just continue down the path of trying to eventually compete on my own? I really would like to meet people with an interest in BBQ like I have and actually get a real team rolling. I just don't know where to start. So how did you form your team? How did you go about meeting one another? Any advice on actually starting a team?

My wife and I were the team until our daughter was born 2 years ago...since then I've been competing as a 1 man team. You need to get your timing down on the meats and practice as if you are in a competition right down to boxing and turning in the meat. Getting the brisket and butts done early and holding is an important part of my schedule, that enables me to focus on the other 2 meats that need to come off the cooker and go right into the box for turn in.

Can you do it; yes. It is extremely hard; YES. I've GC'd one and RGC'd two competitions either completely by myself or having another person simply as the runner. That was the toughest part, having to run the turn-in while I needed to be preparing the next meat for turn-in. Toughest, timing wise I mean. Otherwise, as Kevin said above, you'll need to practice a time or two exactly how you'll do it in a competition.

Also, while I did a little of this early on with a brinkmann and a couple of webers, it's much easier with one good sized smoker and one weber (for chicken).

Oh, it's a middle-aged mans game. Us "old" men have a tough time staying up all night and still being worth a **** the next day. You younger guys somehow manage...

Yes you can do it I have a runner is all yes people are with me but they mainly are there for support I do everything as far as cooking and prep. Timing is critical as far as old man sport I guess I am grouped in there also I am 29 but started competing at 22 so, I enjoy the old man sport. If you look alot of younger guys are starting to get into competition bbq.

There is a "mentoring" section as the top thread (topic) on the "Competition" website right here in BBQ Brethren. Put your location and needs there and maybe someone else who is looking to start a team will team up with you.
ALSO
If you are KCBS member, there is a section on one of the first couple pages of the BULLSHEET where people are looking to start a team and need others.

Just a couple ideas. Otherwise, just tackle it by yourself. LOTS of work, but rewarding too!

Back