ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Great weekend (long with lots o' pics)

Hi all,
I hope you all had as good of a holiday weekend as Kloogee clan had! I've got 2 active young boys, so our weekend was filled with football games, a baseball practice, backyard whiffle ball games, indoor nerf basketball and all kinds of other fun activities with the boys.

Today, we didn't have any scheduled activities, so in between playing with the boys, I squeezed in some cooking.

The plan was to cook a small 5lb brisket flat I picked up a while back, a 8lb bone in Boston Butt to we pulled, baked beans, baked potatoes, and some sausage for snacking along the way.

First up is the brisket flat. I wish it would have been marbled better, but it is what I had.

Trimmed and ready for some seasoning. This is my first ever chunk of brisket, so I really didn't have a clue what I was doing.

I'm not a big Tyson fan, but with limited time, beggars can't be choosers (picked it up at 11:30pm last night at Wallyworld). Tyson had already already hacked the whole fat cap off, so not much trimming was necessary.

Here they are seasoned up. I used the same simple "rub" for both. Roughly equal parts kosher salt and course ground pepper with a small dash of granulated garlic and onion powder.

Now for the Public Service Announcement.... Do NOT use one of these types of shaker bottles for your rub. That fancy little snap on cap WILL come off and dump the ENTIRE contents of the bottle onto your meat! Don't ask me how I know!

Nobody ever accuse me of being the sharpest tool in the shed!

Threw them on the UDS with a goal of around 300*ish. I'm not a temp snob, so I don't get worried about temp swings. I ran out of lump with my previous cook, so was using KBB with some chunks of cherry and a little hickory. This is after a couple of hours. Had added some Polska Kielbasa as well.

Unfortunately, I failed to get pics of the kielbasa when I took it off for brunch time snacking. Forgive me father for I have sinned. I'll do better next time (maybe).

Next up, while the meat was busy getting happy, I started on the baked beans. Browned some bacon, the sweated some onions and green peppers in the grease. Then added some simple yellow mustard, the onions, peppers, and bacon to a can of Bush's lazy man starter beans.

Then into the smoker under the Butt to catch some of the drippings. The Butt was probably somewhere around 160-170* at this point.

The brisket flat came off before the Butt and went into towels in a cooler. I wasn't planning on wrapping the Butt, but I was running out of time once it got around 185*, so I threw it in a pan and foiled it to speed things up a bit.

I checked the beans at this time and decide they were too dry and didn't have as much flavor as I was looking for.

So, I mixed some apple juice and Sweet Baby Ray's together and into the beans and back onto the smoker until we were ready to eat. This is the finished product:

The butt was probing tender around the 207-209* range. Yanked it off the smoker, into the cooler for a couple hours before pulling it. Turned out great:

Brisket turned out pretty good for my first time. The Kloogee clan loved it. Especially the youngin's. They devoured it. For Brethren standards, it wasn't all that great. Too dry and too much tug, but it was still pretty tasty. Aaron Franklin can still sleep at night, for now....

My older son made a pork sandwich, using the brisket as the "bread". He was extremely proud of his invention and insisted I take a pic and post it to share.

Oh and forgot to mention I'd thrown some small Idaho bakers on the smoker too. This is after taking them off.

And here's the plated shot:

I'm not winning any awards for it, but the Kloogee clan was stuffed, happy, and looking forward to lunch the rest of the week!

Happy Labor Day!

Last edited by Kloogee; 09-02-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like great food and a great weekend

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

All looks like a good meal

Unread 09-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good eats!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great spread.
sliding_billy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Looks like a great weekend! Nice job!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Hcs
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great! Really love the Sammie idea!

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Yup. Like the meat sammie. You did good.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS.

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

ohhhh, I like the pulled pork on brisket bread sammich. And I'm gonna borrow your term "temp snob". lol.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
winochef
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks like your son has potential with that sammie idea!
winochef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That is how you do it. Nice job all around. Love that brisket sammie!

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
BobM
Babbling Farker

Wow, that is a lot of good looking food and pics, great job!
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the comments. My son was very proud of his "sammie", I'll make sure to pass along your comments.

One thing I didn't mention previously was the little bit of Shack Attack sauce that can be seen on the plated pulled pork. I love the taste of the pork without any sauce, but just a small squeeze of the Shack sauce takes it to another level.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
Ponty56
On the road to being a farker

that brisket cheese sandwich looks amazing!
Ponty56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
93vpmod
is One Chatty Farker

The son is the new star of this show!

Wondering if he would have added the kielbasa if it was suggested?

Backwoods G2 Chubby, Weber 26.75 OTG, UDS with Weber rotisserie, Blue Weber Performer with gas assist, Smoke Hollow elec. smoker, SJG mini-WSM, Weber Go Anywhere, White thermapen, Blue-Backlight thermapen, Maverick ET-732 x 2, BernzOmatic JT-850 Weed Burner, BernzOmatic TS8000BZKC Hand Torch and the New LooftLighter.
93vpmod is online now   Reply With Quote