The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #31
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleonard81 View Post
"One thing you could hypothetically use to your advantage: HD Inspectors have no idea how long it takes to cook a brisket or a pork butt. They also don't come to your house to see if you are cooking there. I'm not telling you what to do. Just sharing a few facts."

I've heard this a few times Let's say the earliest time you can get into the event is to set up by is 8am and you have your cook time down to 7/8 hours just have that much pre cooked to cover you til 4/5pm. You'd still be cooking on sight for the most part.

EDIT: For some reason the quotes went away from Bigmista's statement???

Wink, Wink......Nudge, Nudge..........(shhhhhhhhhhh)

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
This can happen if a place does not have the reputation to make getting the food desirable. If you can gain the reputation of being something worth having, and sacrificing at any cost to get, then you can stay in business. But, if you are selling out before dinner consistently, then people will stop coming. Eventually, you no longer sell out, but, you can't draw people back to your restaurant.

This is actually far more common in the restaurant business than you might think. People who do not have the capital, or experience, have a great product, but, cannot deliver is consistently. The market will work away from you. Now, you could talk Franklin's, or any number of older establishments, but, the older places had great reputations. Franklin's, quite honestly, went viral. He managed both his pits and his press in such a way, that people came to desire his product beyond what reason would dictate.

I would add, that some restaurants simply cannot scale up, either because the owner's do not want to allocate responsibility, or their building does not allow for growth. These are real issues, especially if you create a situation where the food is hard to get.

GREAT post landarc!!!! No truer words were ever spoken. The BBQ biz is a fickle thing (at times).

Thanks from:--->