high class pig? or just the norm?

bigzthamoose

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, simple question, do you guys go for broke on your pork butt meat quality, or do you just get whats at your local wholesale place? Tons of discussion always on whats the best breed for beef, but do ya all give the same attention to your comp pork butts? I have used both and honestly, cant tell the difference all too much in the butt, now, other cuts, i can tell when i get a whole hog from a local farm and cut em down, but the butt, not sure if im tasting the quality, and if its worth the higher cost.

We tried a Berkshire pork butt earlier this year, judges did not like it. Odd flavor.

I have a friend who is a very competitive cook in FBA, KCBS, and MBN.
And, he has "deep pockets" and spends what he needs to. 8)

He has tried all the heritage breeds and even what I call the "Exotics" and never did well.

He always goes back to Commercial Pork for the butts and "kicks ass" 8)

I am not convinced the judges are all that willing to accept something different, and they are different both in taste and texture, no matter what they claim.

JMHO

TIM

ya, thats what i thought. Like i said, i love me some bone in chops and bacon from heritage breeds, but have not seen improvment of my pork butts by spending triple the amount for them!!!

I agree about Berkshire and Duroc.. just taste too damn good and porky for the judges' taste and didn't score well at all any time I've tried it..... I buy IBP's or whatever from Sam's...

Same here. It is what pork should taste like, but it isn't what the judges expect. Too porky.

Back