The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Demmo
Got Wood.

Question Weber kettle with PartQ. Help needed.

I installed my new PartyQ on my Weber kettle and I am having some problems. I have tried 3 dry runs so far and I am not able to hold a steady temp.

All attempts used the minion method for lighting the coal about 10 briquettes was used to start the fire. Six binder clips around the lid to help it seal tight. The top vent was set to a open width of the size of a sharpie.

I tried it the first time with my smokenator and no water pan and the bottom vents closed. This resulted in huge temperature wings from about 211 to 300 with the PartyQ set at 225.

2nd run was tried with the smokenator and using my drip pan as a water pan and I sealed off the bottom vents completely with some metal duct tape. This way was better but still had in my mind some big temp swings from 208 to 270.

The last attempt was done with out the smokenator. Instead I went back to my old setup of fire bricks hold the coals along the back side of the kettle. Again I used my drip pan as a water pan. Again the lower vents were sealed with metal duct tape. This was the best of the 3 dry runs but I was still not the happy with the results. The temps varied from 210 to 245 with partyq set at 230.

Is this the best I can expect from this setup or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. sorry for the bad grammar and spelling. I am not the best at writing out my thoughts.

Last edited by Demmo; 09-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: added info
Demmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I have used my Party Q on both a 26.75" and 22.5" kettle. The kettle is not the ideal unit for the Party Q, not airtight enough. I too learned to cover the bottom vents with magnets, and I use aluminum foil around the lip of my kettles rather than clips. I still get swings of about 25 or 30 degrees, but that doesn't really concern me, it is just the grill, not much to do about it. The downside to the Smokenator is that it doesn't have a good way for the air to get to it from the Party Q. Depending on where you drilled your hole at, it might help a bit. It would seem the best place to put the Q is underneath the charcoal grate, with the exhaust pointing towards the Smokenator. People have complained that this blows ash around on their food though. I have seen several pictures of people putting aluminum foil over their charcoal grate that isn't covered by the Smokenator to help direct the air over to the charcoal.

See the air tries to follow the path of least resistance, which is just up and out the vent, rather than across the charcoal. So the Q will try to blow in some air and it barely hits the charcoal, temperature drops, so then it turns on for a while, too much, and overshoots. I have often thought of trying to devise some type of foil ducting from the Q exhaust over to the Smokenator to help direct the air.

So one, need to try to get the airtightness on the kettle better, which sounds like you are doing. And two, you need to make sure your air is getting over to the charcoal more efficiently, which is probably your problem.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Demmo
Got Wood.

I have not tried foiling the charcoal grate yet. I will try that. I have the Party Q mounted just barely bellow the charcoal grate. I kept it high enough that my one touch system would still work. I could change the bracket that it is directing the air a bit more towards the coals.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Hcs
On the road to being a farker

I use the weber basket and foil all but where the basket goes and have the basket on the opposite side of the guru adapter water pan directly under meat and vent on same side as guru never sealed lid and only get swings when it's really windy or the top vent isn't adjusted properly usually averageing 5-10 degrees grate level just under vents!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Demmo
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcs View Post
I use the weber basket and foil all but where the basket goes and have the basket on the opposite side of the guru adapter water pan directly under meat and vent on same side as guru never sealed lid and only get swings when it's really windy or the top vent isn't adjusted properly usually averageing 5-10 degrees grate level just under vents!

Is there any chance you send me a picture of your setup?

Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Hcs

This is the set up but with the digiq

Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Hcs

This one has a remote thermometer on top of the party q I run probe wires through bottom vents now not through the top I'm looking into grommets for the probes

Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Demmo
Got Wood.

Thanks for the help everyone. The simply sheet of foil over the charcoal grate has resolved the issue completely. The temp is running rock solid at 230 now. I am smoking a ham and baby back ribs as I write this.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Demmo
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcs View Post
This one has a remote thermometer on top of the party q I run probe wires through bottom vents now not through the top I'm looking into grommets for the probes
I got rubber grommets from lowes. The have them in the hardware aisle in one of the pull out bins. So far they work like a champ.