The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Angry Labor Day Pig cook

I'm planning on doing a pig on Labor Day for family and friends. About how many people will a 50 lb pig feed? Thanks!

Unread 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

As i understand it, the normal calculation is 1# uncooked whole pig per person, so 50# should feed 50 people. I've done a couple 60# pigs and on one occasion there were 60 or so folks here and it worked out well - had enough for a few sammiches the next day too.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

Did you mop it? If so what were the ingredients if you care to share. I plan to use a rub I bought from lowes and but a little brown sugar on the pig as well. Then inject with apple juice , cider vinegar, salt , sugar worches.

Unread 09-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
mrbill
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have any solid yield numbers, but if you're worried about having enough meat, i'd suggest tossing a few links of sausage on the cooker to up your food volume. won't add to your cook time, but will increase the amount of food you have to offer.

Unread 09-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

My last was about 65#, fed 35 and only used 1/2 the pig so I'm thinking you should easily get 50-60 fed. I use a pump up spray bottle 50/50 apple juice and ACV in the last 2-3 hours of the cook.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote