The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default who needs a smokenator anyways!

Initially I had wanted a somkenator to help with the longer cooks but after hearing about limited space and water pan I figured wasn't worth it. So here's my solution.

Two foil wrapped bricks as a retaining wall for the charcoal and a wedge of wood for smoking and heat deflection. Worked great for brisket and also pork shoulder. This allows me to still have a large water pan underneath

Anyways just figured i'd share the idea that's been working great for me.

16lb brisket in a 22" performer with Oak

13lbs of pork shoulders (2 shoulders) with Cherry
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Did you lite the bottom or the top coals. I always throw hot coals on top but I have been wanting to try a Fo gravity pit setup with the wood under the grate to see if it works

Unread 08-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

How is the amount of smoke you're getting with that method?

Unread 08-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Here's mine - got plenty of room for water pan on bottom grate if needed- I get plenty of smoke with wood chunks n charcoal and can easily add more charcoal n wood if needed.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=168240

SmittyJonz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
How is the amount of smoke you're getting with that method?
I got great smoke the log smolders really well and didn't need to add any additional wood at all.

Unread 08-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Here's mine - got plenty of room for water pan on bottom grate if needed- I get plenty of smoke with wood chunks n charcoal and can easily add more charcoal n wood if needed.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=168240

That looks like a great idea as well i'll have to check that out. The one thing I found though is with a large stack of KBB it needs a little proding after 6 hours or so to get the ashes to fall down and get the fire going again.

Unread 08-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Did you lite the bottom or the top coals. I always throw hot coals on top but I have been wanting to try a Fo gravity pit setup with the wood under the grate to see if it works

I lite about 8 coals on top, the wood log lets me hinge the grate up and fill the coals to the grate level. It never occurred to me to start them from the bottom thats an interesting idea I might have to try.