The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Relighting gravity fed smokers

I am really liking these gravity fed smokers, but how do you guys relight them with a chute half full of chimney? Do you just put a weed burner through the firebox door opening? Or is better to just let the chute burn itself out of charcoal each time?

Unread 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
CigarHerb
Found some matches.

Close everything off and let the fire die out. Relight same way you lit the first time. Unless you poured hot coals I to the top last time
CigarHerb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
muidaq
On the road to being a farker

I shake the grate to get the ash off the lower coals, wedge a weber starter cube through the grate, fill the chute, then light er up. It's much harder to wedge the cube through when the chute is full. The only time the cube didn't work was after the smoker sat dormant for most of the winter. I think the coals got wet.

Unread 08-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

You can always remove the grate and let the charcoal fall out and start over again.

Unread 08-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
mep

When I'm through with a cook, I just shut the air vents and the exhaust and the fire goes out pretty quickly. Then to cook again, I shake the grate to cause ash to drop, clean that ash out of my ash pan, load more charcoal from the top and then relight it from the fire door with my propane torch.

If in the middle of a cook just add more charcoal from the top and it will light itself as it drops down on the burning coals.

Unread 08-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I've used the Weber starter cube method and the weed burner method before, both with good success.

Unread 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys.

Unread 08-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
When I'm through with a cook, I just shut the air vents and the exhaust and the fire goes out pretty quickly.
How long after shutting down the vents/exhaust do you think it would take until the smoker would be safe to load into a trailer?

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
I shake the grate to get the ash off the lower coals, wedge a weber starter cube through the grate, fill the chute, then light er up. It's much harder to wedge the cube through when the chute is full. The only time the cube didn't work was after the smoker sat dormant for most of the winter. I think the coals got wet.
I used weber cubes too, but would set 2 on top of a hunk of wood so they sit up below the grate.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
How long after shutting down the vents/exhaust do you think it would take until the smoker would be safe to load into a trailer?

I load mine into my enclosed trailer after about 15min. yes it is still hot but not enough to start anything on fire. unless you pack things right against it.

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
PekingPorker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
When I'm through with a cook, I just shut the air vents and the exhaust and the fire goes out pretty quickly. Then to cook again, I shake the grate to cause ash to drop, clean that ash out of my ash pan, load more charcoal from the top and then relight it from the fire door with my propane torch.

If in the middle of a cook just add more charcoal from the top and it will light itself as it drops down on the burning coals.
I second this. This is exactly what I do each time. Lump Charcoal only.
XL and Small BGEs, 18.5 wsm
GREY and GREEN Thermapen
KCBS CBJ
Facebook: Craft BBQ, The Art of Smoke Twitter: @craftbbq
PekingPorker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
mep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
To be honest, I really don't know for sure. But, I believe that within an hour there would be know issues at all. Chibi says he loads his after only about 15 minutes but I think the area around the firebox would still be pretty hot. How ever long, the fire ought to be snuffed out pretty quickly with the air valve shut and all the doors closed.

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi View Post
I load mine into my enclosed trailer after about 15min. yes it is still hot but not enough to start anything on fire. unless you pack things right against it.
Quote:
To be honest, I really don't know for sure. But, I believe that within an hour there would be know issues at all. Chibi says he loads his after only about 15 minutes but I think the area around the firebox would still be pretty hot. How ever long, the fire ought to be snuffed out pretty quickly with the air valve shut and all the doors closed.
Thanks, guys! I can keep stuff away from the firebox, but I am more concerned about smoke in the toy hauler.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote