MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Default Severe Rust on cast iron grill - Akorn

Hi all. I left town for several weeks and left my Akorn in a place where it was inundated with lots of rain water while I was gone. When I came back, the bottom was full of water and the grill - a heavy cast iron grill grate - is severely rusted.

I scrubbed and scrubbed it with a wire brush and some diluted CLR and oven cleaner, etc. I got a lot of rust off but it still isn't useable.

Anyone have any kind of magic way to get rid of all this rust so I can re-season and use this again?

Thanks

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Some good info here:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...stIronPans.htm

Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

could always sand blast it, or use a sanding disc. if the rust is gone, I would think you could re-season it and use it.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Hcleon51
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I used a heavy duty wire wheel on my side grinder. That took it down to bare metal. I spray painted it and seasoned it.
Hcleon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can make a mix of 50/50 white vinegar, and water, completely submerge the grates for about three days or less. I suspect you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, and being overly concerned about the amount of rust. in light of what you have done so far, slap on some oil and season it again I am willing to bet they will be good to go, if they are just reddish rusty looking and not deeply crusted with flaking rust. I would be more concerned about the water in the cooker its self, and how you can stop it from getting in in the first place.
Dave

Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Is it common to spray paint cast iron that you cook on?
UDS

Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

There are still big pieces of rust on the grates.. definitely can still flake off. I parked the grill in the wrong place - under a roof with no gutter.. we got monsoon rains and it drained right on top of the vents which were slightly open. Really stupid. Not common. The perfect rust storm. :)
UDS

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
I hope you meant that to be a joke, but if not, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Just try what I suggested, and see how that goes, remembering you will most likely always have some rust unless you are using it a lot, it wont kill ya, and is not going to effect the food, just make sure to heat the grates, and brush good before laying on the food, to kill off any little nastiness there may be, it wont be from rust.
Dave

Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcleon51 View Post
I used a heavy duty wire wheel on my side grinder. That took it down to bare metal. I spray painted it and seasoned it.
Seriously you spray painted your grates?
Dave

Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Absolutely Not! Cast iron needs to be properly seasoned and maintained.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Mo-Dave

Quote:
There are still big pieces of rust on the grates.. definitely can still flake off. I parked the grill in the wrong place - under a roof with no gutter.. we got monsoon rains and it drained right on top of the vents which were slightly open. Really stupid. Not common. The perfect rust storm. :)
Don't know how bad it is without seeing them, or how old the cooker is, but it may be time to look at some new ones. I have some cast iron grates sitting out side for a couple years now, and with a good wire brushing, and seasoning I would not be afraid to use them.
Dave

Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I thought the advice of spray painting cooking surfaces was a bad idea, but wanted to clarify.

The cooker is not very old.. maybe 4 months old. Just got left out in the rain. :)

B
UDS

Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Jayblefty
On the road to being a farker

Can always try the electorosis route. My uncle uses that meathod to clean up rusted old car parts all the time. They come out looking like new.do a YouTube search and you can easily find a full how to. You basically hook a car battery charger to the grate and completely submerge it in water. Let it sit for a bit and that's that. Best of luck.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Man..I would just fire up the thing.....brush it good....and rub lard on it. Then tomorrow repeat. Its fine. I keep a can of cheap pam in my cooking g area and spray the grate when I'm done cooking. After I scrape it that is? Show us a picture of how bad it is? Bet mines pitted worse?
NOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

You're only talking about a few months. That's nothing when it comes to rust. Like a few others have said, just scrape what you can off and go through a few reseasoning cycles and get back to cooking. Screw all the oven cleaner and other chemicals as you're just making it more troublesome than it needs to be.

I've neglected grates on occasion for a year or two and while nasty looking, they were still just fine with some good abrasive scrubbing and reseasoning. And the grates don't have to be perfectly black, glossy, and seasoned to cook food. Sure, you want all the loose rust off, but even if they are still discolored a bit after cleaning a reseasoning, they are fine to cook on and it won't take long for them to get back to normal.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote