The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
steveh_131
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Whole Turkey on the UDS

I cooked a whole turkey last night, and it was a really fun project. This was my process:
  • Get the drum smoker fired up to around 250 with some applewood chunks, wait for some thin blue smoke
  • Cut out the backbone and spread the turkey out (spatchcock it)
  • Rubbed it down with some garlic powder and kosher salt. On the breasts, I peeled back the skin a bit to get my rub on the meat, then put the skin back
  • Put it on the top grate of the drum, put the pan on the next grate down (6" below it)
  • Put my thermometer probe in the deepest part of the breast
  • Cook until thermometer showed 260

(I didn't brine it because it was an 'enhanced' turkey...not by choice, it was just all I could find!)

Some pr0n:

It turned out pretty delicious. My family loved it. Open to any tips and advice, and I have a few specific questions.

1. Is a drip pan necessary? I read that it would make a big mess in my drum, but the pan didn't end up having much in it. There was no liquid, just some fat and stuff charred to the bottom of the pan. Do you guys use drip pans for these?

2. The smoke ring wasn't very noticeable. Is this because I left the skin on? Should I remove the skin? Or could the pan so close below it have kept the smoke from really circulating around the turkey as it should?
steveh_131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

No a drip pan isn't necessary but with turkeys i like to catch some of the drippings for gravy but not all of them... i want some to go in the fire to add more flavor.

There will only be some smoke ring in the working muscles where there is more myoglobin. Leave the skin on and next try to get the smoker over 325..it'll get crispier skin and actually make a jucier bird. Taste is the most important thing, glad the family liked it!
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Oh BTW you can still brine a enhanced turkey.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
steveh_131
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
No a drip pan isn't necessary but with turkeys i like to catch some of the drippings for gravy but not all of them... i want some to go in the fire to add more flavor.
Even with the pan I got almost no drippings! I guess this is a good thing, it means the juices stayed in the turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
There will only be some smoke ring in the working muscles where there is more myoglobin. Leave the skin on and next try to get the smoker over 325..it'll get crispier skin and actually make a jucier bird. Taste is the most important thing, glad the family liked it!
Alright, definitely learned something new here about myoglobin. Thanks for the education.

I do cook turkey legs at 350 and they turn out amazing, but they only take an hour or so...if I cook the whole thing at 350 for 4 hours won't it burn the legs and wings?
steveh_131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tasty looking bird!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Higher heat just a shorter duration so no it doesn't burn.. You can always foil them after they get so browned.

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
oifmarine2003
is One Chatty Farker

I like to inject pieces of garlic cloves throughout the birds with my solid food injector as well as injecting creole butter.

Homemade Wood Smokehouse, Charmglow gasser, Smoke Hollow, UDS, dual chamber homemade grill, Uline Weber Kettle
Certified MOINK Baller

UNLINED DRUM KING OF CHICAGO AREA

Scrap Iron Chef
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote