The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
oldsmobubble
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Making Pulled Pork

Hello all I was hpoing for some suggestions as to the best way to make pulled pork. I have made it before in my ECB and it came out pretty good. I cooked the pork butt at about 225 for 14 hours and about 12 hours or so into it I wrapped it in aluminum foil. It was very juicy and tasty, but, I was looking to see if anyone had some better suggestions for temperature, when to wrap it, sauce it or not, and if wrapping it should I use aluminum foil and a pan or butcher paper if I can find it and what are the benefits to each.

Thanks.
oldsmobubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cook mine at 300 it takes about 50 min lb no stall. the only big change is not to use much or no sugar in your rub, in fact mostly I use salt or a combo of Slap Ya Momma and Goya Adobo perfect seasoning.
Some times I foil wrap if I do it is at the 4-5 hr point, Save the defatted ausjus to add back to the Pull.
That is the only reason I wrap. I have never tried BP on a Butt I'm sure it would work but you won't get much aus jus,

I will add a little E NC Pig Juice to the pull to bring out the natural sweetness along with some salt. and increase the moisture if I'm short on aus jus

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Pork is very forgiving and you can get great results with a variety of temps and methods. I would run the ECB at whatever temp it likes to settle at. It that's 225 great, if that's 270 great. Don't fight it.

I prefer 270-ish and my butts typically cook for an hour per pound, plus at least a two hour rest. I wrap in foil when the bark gets to the color that I want instead of using a particular internal temperature. I determine done based on feel using my thermapen for a probe rather than internal temp.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

What those guys said is all true.

I also cook in the 270F to 300F range, and it goes around an hour per pound, I don't worry the details too much with any BBQ. In terms of wrap or not...

Wrap with butcher paper when the color is just a little lighter than you want. Cook until it is physically soft to the tough, you can unwrap and wiggle the bone too. I have found that the amount of juice I can save this way is a lot, but, be careful moving it, as the paper will tear.

Do not wrap at all, this gives the classic texture to the meat and bark. A great option.

Pan and foil, this give the wettest texture, and the meat is quite soft. This is a huge hit and how I often cook for mixed groups of people. I end up with loads of jus and fat, both of which I end up using for things.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Lake Dogs

Also in the 270 range here, a little under 1 hr / lb, but I wrap in foil after about 4.5 hours to limit the smoke and help make it extra extra moist. Also, 2 hr rest afterwards here too...

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Also in the 270 range here, a little under 1 hr / lb, but I wrap in foil after about 4.5 hours to limit the smoke and help make it extra extra moist. Also, 2 hr rest afterwards here too...
I'm in this camp also.

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I'm the oddball old timer set in my ways...

I like 225-250 low and slow. It doesn't mean the other way isn't good. The higher temperatures cook just as well. You have to find what works best for you with your cooker.

I never used to foil, but now I do, in the home stretch I put the pork butt in a foil pan and cover with foil.

Unread 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
oldsmobubble
Got Wood.

With the last time I made pulled pork and the first time it actually pulled for me, I had to wrap it because I had people coming for dinner and they arrived a little early and were getting antsy, so I wrapped in foil to bring up to temp quicker. I got rave reviews, but, I have never wrapped anything else before (and edepending on who you ask that's cheating). I am not that worried about over smoking because its a charcoal water smoker and the only smoke I get is what I provide. I just had a non fruit bearing cherry tree curt down about a month ago and was considering trying that wood for the smoke but it hasn't been seasoned and would still be considered fresh or green, any thoughts on that? One more questions with the pork butt would you take the skin off or leave it on (in the past I have removed it unless doing it in the oven)?

I did a chicken and some wings a couople of weeks ago for my son's 1st bday and cooked them at about 275 - 300 and they turned out great. That was my first time cooking for about 50 people (I also grilled, the smoked meat was more of a tease or appetiser).

I have about 10 whole wings left (still frozen) I am going to try and smoke them along with the pork as an appetizer.

Some BBQ Pron:

The first pic is of the chicken hot and fast from the party, the second pic is the first chicken I ever did low and slow at 225, the next is the 2nd time I made pulled pork where it actually pulled again low and slow, and the 4th is the 2nd time I made ribs they looked good but I didn't apply the rub correctly and they came out gloppy with the sauce (I won't make that mistake a gain).

Thanks again for all of the advise, it's nice to be able to share my obsession with people who like to see and hear about it, my wife just toons me out at this point. After the smoke I will post some Pron and let you guys know how it went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0707[1].jpg (59.3 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0056[1].jpg (83.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0606[1].jpg (69.8 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0646[1].jpg (77.5 KB, 306 views)

Unread 08-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Try injecting your pork butt with apple juice and beer or just beer. You can also add some of your rub to the injection to get it down into your pork butt. Be carefull though if you buy the enhanced with salt pork butt/shoulders you can over salt them with some rubs.

Ive also injected a stick of butter into my pork butt and sometimes I foil and sometimes I don't. Just make sure you cook it till it's all probe tender and don't worry so much about the cooking temperature as long as its not out of control
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

^ +1 .......

Injecting yields moister meat and can add more flavor depending on what you add to your injection...

You can also inject you chicken if you wish..

Unread 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I'm the oddball old timer set in my ways...

I like 225-250 low and slow. It doesn't mean the other way isn't good. The higher temperatures cook just as well. You have to find what works best for you with your cooker.

I never used to foil, but now I do, in the home stretch I put the pork butt in a foil pan and cover with foil.
I'm old school also. I learned pulled pork in ENC and that's the way I do it today. If it's too dry I use ENC sauce for moisture.
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Bludawg

That grub looks great to me keep on keepin on! Pick up a little nuggets along the way if they will incorporate into what your doing to suit your style flavor ect. Everyone is an expert in their own mind including the big named experts. The most important thing to take away from shows like BBQ PM is there is more than one way to skin a cat some are down right ugly but the cat still looses his hide in the end. The same thing applies here as well.

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
oldsmobubble
Got Wood.

Thank you all for the awesome advice, I will let you all know how I make out and post some pics when done.