oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
woodburner
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Grand Champ ?

I've been competing in a few local contest and I've been watching who's making it to the winners circle, and around KC area there's hardly any cookers other than the stick burners consistently winning. I seldom see a "bullet" cooker or a "drum" cooker in the top 10 in calls and I can't remember a G.C. So question is what cooker or type of cooker wins the most, or has most top calls?. Yes I know this is a loaded question, its more than a cooker the cook has to cook but.... Just asking what others see, or think.

Thanks
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

OK, taking the cook's skills, and potential regionality influence out of the equation...

What is the % breakout you see of the various cooker types ?

Would it also be fair to assume that newer cooks or less competitive cooks may often have less costly and/or less sizeable pits for logistical reasons ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
woodburner
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes that would probably be the best way to approach this thought, but I'm only able to be at a few comps and was looking for what going on outside my viewing area, here in K.C. The big guys have Jambo,s or other " higher end " offsets. Now there is always a fair share of drums and bullet styles cooking, but "I" don't recall big time wins from them. so what are others seeing?
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Harry Soo of "Slap Yo Daddy" uses WSM's w/ECU's and does well. I can't remember where I saw or read it, but I know a high end competitor mentioned that even w/in the governing bodies, preferences can vary based on region. so what wins at one comp may not even get you a call at another even w/in the same governing body.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

I think if you research it a bit further, you will find that many of the teams cooking on Jambos were winning before they bought them.

Looking at it another way, someone who has $50K invested in smokers and a comp trailer is probably more serious, cooking more comps, spending more on meats, etc. than someone who showed up with a couple of UDS and a pop-up in the back of a pickup. If you switched smokers with the best teams, they would still beat you (and me).

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
gettinbasted
is one Smokin' Farker

Smokin' Guns - drums
The Smoking Hills - WSM
Burntfinger - Rebel
Shake N Bake - Gateway Drums
Butcher - FEC

Just off the top of my head. No doubt that Jambos win, but you don't drop the dime on a Jambo without being a top of the line competitor first.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

There are many people using drums/barrels with much success. KC Can Crew comes to mind real quick for some. I've been selling my products to many known cooks this year, it's wsms for Harry Soo, and so on. There are many types of cookers winning, and will continue to be that way. There is more great cooks now than ever before, but the best ones can cook on anything. That's one thing I love about competing is the ability to take my products and compete against anything next to us pit wise. Glad it's that way and not mandated more somehow. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
Bubba
Full Fledged Farker

American Royal Grand Champion = drum cookers
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

wood, you can win with high end smoker, and with low end smokers. The winners, particularly those who do so with some consistency, do it because they're just ****ed good at what they do. Choose a smoker that fits your style and what you want. If you want sleep, look to the forget-it cabinet smokers. If you enjoy tinkering with fire, get an offset. If you dont mind some fire tinkering, on a small budget, need to travel "light", look at WSM's. etc.

I didnt GC but I RGC'd an early competition using a small brinkmann smoker and 2 weber grills against 42 teams having every kind of smoker on earth. This was TINY, on a TINY budget. I did that well because I knew what to do, knew how to do it, worked by *** off, and got just a tad lucky. Same for every competition; for every winner.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

I believe there is a correlation, but its a chicken or egg thing. Some of those better cooks that cook on Jambos say they are better with a Jambo. When they own several of them and keep winning, there is likely something to that. But they were pretty darned good to begin with. I have one GC, several calls and just won ribs this weekend at Excelsior Springs with drums. Dont ask about the other categories, however.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.

Last edited by Outnumbered; 08-22-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Smokin' Guns - drums
The Smoking Hills - WSM
Burntfinger - Rebel
Shake N Bake - Gateway Drums
Butcher - FEC

Just off the top of my head. No doubt that Jambos win, but you don't drop the dime on a Jambo without being a top of the line competitor first.
You also forgot Gettin' Basted does pretty well cooking on drums...

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know the exact count of Jambo's that were at the Sam's regional in Rockford but the BBQSuperstore.com beat them all with his drums. Just sayin

Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Those Mak's are doing really good also!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

5 or 6 years ago there was a young kid cooking on Weber Bullets and started making quite a name for himself. The better they got the better equipment they bought.
Now he has a custom Jambo sitting on the back proch of his custom trailer and is still kickin ass and takin names.
BIG T'Z Q CRU.
Same time frame, same start on equipment, same rise to fame, different kid.
Luckys Q.
SWINE ASSASSINS.
TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW
Now that's just a small handfull of the teams here in Iowa!

They say it time after time, it's the cook, not the cooker
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
AZScott
Take a breath!

Yep. Almost all, actually all, start with drums, wsm's, backwoods, FEC's etc. When you started busting out GC's and RGC's this goes from a money losing hobby to a money making hobby. For tax purposes that smoker, toy hauler, etc are a business expense for many.