The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Your thoughts on paying 10 places (KCBS)?

Personally, I'd rather see just the top 3 places in each category paid (in addition to grand/reserve champs, of course) so that they could pay more substantial sums of money. At a lot of KCBS competitions a first place win won't even get your expenses paid. I don't go to those. A first place showing should at least return your expenses, plus a little more to reward a superior effort. But that's my humble opinion. Your thoughts?
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

I guess I think differently for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm not in this "sport" to make money (and I think that would be a bad idea)
2) I don't finish in the top three (yet) so I will take what $ I can get

Competing for me is all about the passion of cooking great Q. When I raced sports cars I spent $1000 per weekend for a $5 plastic trophy. If not making money were an impediment to having a great hobby, I would have very few things to do in my spare time.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
columbia1
Full Fledged Farker

All depends on the total payout amount, normally I like to see payouts in individual catagories go down to 10th place, that way more teams can share in the pool and off-set their expenses instead of just a couple teams taking the majority. If the top four teams cannot even breakeven I usually will avoid that comp.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
columbia1
Full Fledged Farker

Here is what I consider a perfect payout structure, it is from the Wildwest Shootout happening this weekend in Nevada. https://www.facebook.com/events/414358195324799/
Grand Champion: $6,500
+$250 Entry into the World Food Championships
+$250 Gas Stipend

Reserve Champion: $3,000

KCBS Categories: Chicken, Ribs, Pork & Brisket categories as follows:

1st place: $900
2nd place: $725
3rd place: $500
4th place: $300
5th place: $200
6th place: $150
7th place: $125
8th place: $100
9th place: $75
10th place: $50

High Roller’s Choice Payout: $2,500 (1st - $1,250 - 2nd - $750 - 3rd $500)

Total Cash Amount: $25,000
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I guess I think differently for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm not in this "sport" to make money (and I think that would be a bad idea)
2) I don't finish in the top three (yet) so I will take what $ I can get

Competing for me is all about the passion of cooking great Q. When I raced sports cars I spent $1000 per weekend for a $5 plastic trophy. If not making money were an impediment to having a great hobby, I would have very few things to do in my spare time.
In reality, I'd guess few folks ever actually make money at BBQ competitions. Unless, of course, they're people like Mixon, etc. I will probably never win enough to pay off my equipment/expense costs combined if I compete for the rest of my life. I'm just suggesting being able to pay your expenses for a competition and celebrate with a nice meal somewhere for a first place win. Something other than just break even - or less.
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
Here is what I consider a perfect payout structure, it is from the Wildwest Shootout happening this weekend in Nevada. https://www.facebook.com/events/414358195324799/
Grand Champion: $6,500
+$250 Entry into the World Food Championships
+$250 Gas Stipend

Reserve Champion: $3,000

KCBS Categories: Chicken, Ribs, Pork & Brisket categories as follows:

1st place: $900
2nd place: $725
3rd place: $500
4th place: $300
5th place: $200
6th place: $150
7th place: $125
8th place: $100
9th place: $75
10th place: $50

High Roller’s Choice Payout: $2,500 (1st - $1,250 - 2nd - $750 - 3rd $500)

Total Cash Amount: $25,000
That Structure is based on a 25k prize pool which is very rare. 6k to 10k prize pool is a pretty good contest.
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

I think the vast majority of competitors would rather see payments to the top 10 instead of the top 3. I'd much rather walk away with $50 for 10th place than nothing at all.

Organizers just need to figure out how to make all contests pay out like Smoke on the Water events. I was listening to Whiskey Bent's show the other day, the organizer was talking about a $50k purse the first year out for Atlantic City, going up to $250k over five years.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Top 10 overall and each category. We have a lot of FBA contests that do this. Of course most of our contests have 10k+ prize pools.

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
Personally, I'd rather see just the top 3 places in each category paid (in addition to grand/reserve champs, of course) so that they could pay more substantial sums of money. At a lot of KCBS competitions a first place win won't even get your expenses paid. I don't go to those. A first place showing should at least return your expenses, plus a little more to reward a superior effort. But that's my humble opinion. Your thoughts?
I have a couple of thoughts on this...

1. KCBS requires competitions to pay the top 5 in each category, so in a KCBS competition paying the top 3 in each category wouldn't be allowed.

2. I don't think expecting to break even or be ahead just by winning a category is realistic. I think winning a category should cover your expenses for that category and put a good dent in your overall expenses, but that's about it.

I agree that getting a small check is better than another ribbon, but that should be done by increasing the prize pool, not by taking it away from the overall prizes or reducing the higher places. I also realize that this is not always possible.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
A lot of those $50 10th place payouts keeps teams coming back to compete if it was their only call. I'm not sure what payouts you are seeing for first place category, but normally around here they seem to be at minimum $500. $500 would pay back a very large portion/most of my expenses for the comp.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I have a couple of thoughts on this...

1. KCBS requires competitions to pay the top 5 in each category, so in a KCBS competition paying the top 3 in each category wouldn't be allowed.

2. I don't think expecting to break even or be ahead just by winning a category is realistic. I think winning a category should cover your expenses for that category and put a good dent in your overall expenses, but that's about it.

I agree that getting a small check is better than another ribbon, but that should be done by increasing the prize pool, not by taking it away from the overall prizes or reducing the higher places. I also realize that this is not always possible.

Winning a category is all some of us will ever do given the field of competitiors at a good number of competitions. And to me, that's a MAJOR accomplishment...not a "just!" But the current prize structure - in most cases - basically allows the top two competitors to make money, hopefully, or at least break even. The rest are guaranteed to lose money unless first place pays more than $500 - $600 dollars. Wouldn't it make competitions more attractive to more folks if first place paid $750 or so, and there's a chance they could actually bring home a couple-hundred dollars? That way, at least six teams could cover expenses and perhaps win a little extra. I'd much rather have a chance at that than a check for $50. Once again, just my opinion!
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
A lot of those $50 10th place payouts keeps teams coming back to compete if it was their only call.
Exactly!! As long as I can tell my wife that I won even a little money, it's harder for her to tell me to quit going to the damn contests in the first place.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Me, personally I am in it for the bling a ribbon, cheezy printed certificate, plastic bowling trophie etc. if I was lucky enough to ever hear my name I want something to look at down the road. I am just gonna spend that small check on beer anyway.

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
A lot of those $50 10th place payouts keeps teams coming back to compete if it was their only call. I'm not sure what payouts you are seeing for first place category, but normally around here they seem to be at minimum $500. $500 would pay back a very large portion/most of my expenses for the comp.
I was looking at doing a competition in Marietta, GA where first place pays $400. Actually, two others I looked at possibly doing paid the same amount. It would cost me at least $550 to do it - all things total - in addition to a 3.5 hour drive each way. If I could cover my my costs, bring home a first place trophy and $100 bucks, I would be an extremely happy camper. But win the trophy and still lose $150 bucks...not so much.
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
tker32
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I don't know about other areas of the country, but for us, there are a handful of "big name" teams that are consistently in the top 3 or so at local events. These teams go on to win the big national comps as well. I would venture a guess that the vast majority of teams are doing less than 10 competitions a year. It's already tough enough for these smaller, part-time teams to recoup any of their costs. If you make it that much harder for them to have the chance to get anything back at all, I'm pretty sure team counts at contests will start to fall and eventually there will be fewer contests to hit for a payout.
tker32 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.