MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Default Sponsors

Out of curiosity, how likely and/or easy is it to get sponsorship for your bbq team?

I have a contact with a local high end market, and am thinking of proposing a sponsorship of sorts for next year's competition season.

I was thinking that free (or at-cost) meat from the market to me, and my team flying their logo on banners, shirts, word of mouth, etc during competition.

Am I crazy? I think watching somebody do well in a comp, seeing they get their meat at a place would be worth it's weight in.. well, brisket I guess!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

All they can say is no. I would shoot for free meat in your first approach.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

We get our meat at cost from a local butcher in exchange for flying the banner. We've done a good enough job promoting the business that we often get most of our non comp purchases at cost as well. It doesn't save us a bunch of money, but we are getting his best stuff at a really great price. If you are placing well enough, its a win win

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Icekub
On the road to being a farker

Probably would depend on your team's results to start. New teams historically have a difficult time, veteran successful teams have a much easier go getting folks to cough up free stuff and dough.
Icekub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

If you are as professional as possible, go to them with a written plan and explain how they will benefit, I think that you have a very good chance.

Try to get the attendance numbers for the events that you will be attending. Check with the organizers to see if you can do sampling or handing out of flyers. Explain to the store that you are a loyal customer and these events will help you to get the word out about how great they are.

Bring photos of crowds from past events.

If you put in the effort to create a professional sponsorship package, you have a reasonable shot.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Emphasize how much money is spent on competition BBQ and when you're at a contest everyone will see their banner. Offer to set up a table with their business cards or flyers on it. Make sure you include something that's really in it for them so they know they get something in return. The cheaper it is for you to do, the better.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
If you are as professional as possible, go to them with a written plan and explain how they will benefit, I think that you have a very good chance.

Try to get the attendance numbers for the events that you will be attending. Check with the organizers to see if you can do sampling or handing out of flyers. Explain to the store that you are a loyal customer and these events will help you to get the word out about how great they are.

Bring photos of crowds from past events.

If you put in the effort to create a professional sponsorship package, you have a reasonable shot.

Eric
This, plus give them options; for free meat we wil fly a 2x4 flag and wear t-shirts and mention the company in any speeches or media.
For at cost meat we will fly a 2x2 flag and wear shirts
For a slightly discounted rate we will wear shirts. That way it's not an all or nothing deal and you might get one if your middle options instead which would still help out.

This last year we did that and ended up with at cost butts and brisket from meat supplier and 2 big bags of RO from the local bbq store. Neither the at cost meat or the charcoal was the top option, free meat and a free WSM were but we were happy with the deals we got.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

All great ideas. Thanks so much! I like the breakdown "packages" kenthanson suggested.

Business proposal is no problem - I can handle that. Also, I don't cook all that much quantity per comp at this point, so their investment would be pretty low.

I've just started competing this year but have already taken a 1st in Chicken and 5th in ribs -one in each of the two comps so far - happy for beginner's luck! I can't imagine that what may be less than 100 (their cost) per competition for free meat to me 4-6 times per year wouldn't be worth the publicity from the community and bystanders.

Again, thanks. I'm putting all these ideas together before I make the move!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
guntera
Got Wood.

Keep us updated...My wife and I have been kicking around the same idea for sponsors, but we havent got anything actually done. I don't want to start door knocking or calling up some buddies that have businesses just for free stuff or money and not be able to offer something in return. Someone always wants our leftover meat from the comps which would make a good return. However, leftovers only go so far and not everyone can be promised some if your successful with rounding up sponsors.
guntera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

There are some very good exchanges on this subject somewhere in the archives. Ray Lampe , myself and many others laid out several firm points that have helped us well over the years. Worth looking up if possible. Ray's description was a letter that he used and was done very well. Would be a great starting point of how to. Main thing is what you can do for them, not the other way around. Also it will be best to personalize the requests, no form letters and have something to offer as in recent contest acomplishments, awards from many forms, ability to serve food to/for them and many more angles that are best looked at and filled where needed. Rookies looking for a free ride not only discredit legit worthy teams but turn off the prospective partner fast. That's true in most proposals of many disiplines and should not be done if you want success. When you think of the relationship being beneficial for both parties, then you're on a more winable goal. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
Main thing is what you can do for them, not the other way around.
This is key. So many teams are looking for something for nothing. It doesn't work that way. As a new team, it is very difficult to offer something of real value but thinking outside the box can be key. Possibly something like offering grilling classes for your meat suppliers customers or a BBQ class can do the trick. It doesn't have to be contest related. The most creative you can be usually gets the job done.

It is also wise to have a written contract. A contract should spell out the responsibilities of both parties so there is no confusion. After all a sponsorship is nothing short of a legally enforceable business agreement.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
There are some very good exchanges on this subject somewhere in the archives. Ray Lampe , myself and many others laid out several firm points that have helped us well over the years. Worth looking up if possible.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...89&postcount=1

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote