The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS Rep double header?

How can the same reps cover two contests the same weekend over 200 miles apart?

09/06/13
to
09/07/13
5th Annual Southern York County BBQ Cookoff York, PA
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Contact: Alicia Herbst Phone: 717-235-6611 x100. aherbst@marketsatshrewsbury.com
KCBS Reps: NANCY MULLER, DON MULLER

09/07/13
to
09/08/13
Red, White and Que Cresskill, NJ
KCBS Reps: NANCY MULLER, DON MULLER
Weber Genesis gasser
KCBS Master CBJ; KCBS 100+ Club
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge
QN is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Husband and wife team, one at each location?

WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box
Ackman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
Husband and wife team, one at each location?
KCBS rules require two reps per contest for up to 50 teams and an additional rep for over 50 teams.
Weber Genesis gasser
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
KCBS rules require two reps per contest for up to 50 teams and an additional rep for over 50 teams.
So then I'd guess to say it is a misprint they haven't corrected.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

They are a husband and wife team and are doing both contests.

It should be transparent to the contestants at the first contest, I'm taking part in the second contest in Cresskill. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing to be honest guess we'll see how it works out.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
They are a husband and wife team and are doing both contests.

It should be transparent to the contestants at the first contest, I'm taking part in the second contest in Cresskill. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing to be honest guess we'll see how it works out.
Hey Sean,
It should be interesting...
Awards are scheduled for 4pm at the Friday/Saturday contest and it appears to be a ~3 hour drive to the Cresskill location (200+ miles).
Reps are supposed to be at the contest until after awards.This appears to put them at the second contest sometime Saturday night. Just seems a little late for the reps to be getting to a contest they are responsible for.
Good luck at the contest!
Weber Genesis gasser
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Edit.
My question just got answered.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I am at the 1st contest and I have to say I don't like this. The reps (good people) are going to be rushed. I may just challenge to see my boxes to check the team numbers just for fun. They have to produce them if I ask to see them ,right?

I am just kidding of course..maybe.

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Thats the problem with lack of reps in the northeast.
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
Hey Sean,
It should be interesting...
Awards are scheduled for 4pm at the Friday/Saturday contest and it appears to be a ~3 hour drive to the Cresskill location (200+ miles).
Reps are supposed to be at the contest until after awards.This appears to put them at the second contest sometime Saturday night. Just seems a little late for the reps to be getting to a contest they are responsible for.
Good luck at the contest!
Shrewsbury to Cresskill on Saturday afternoon is going to be more like 5-6 hours.

Who's going to give the cook's meeting in Cresskill and at what time? Midnight?

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Shrewsbury to Cresskill on Saturday afternoon is going to be more like 5-6 hours.

Who's going to give the cook's meeting in Cresskill and at what time? Midnight?
That's my concern. I'm not sure how the travel logistics are getting worked out but the more I think about the less feasible the whole situation appears.

My understanding is they were assigned to rep the second contest after the untimely passing away of another rep earlier this year. Don and Nancy are members here and great folks but I'm not seeing this as possible and certainly not practical. I have no idea about the availability of reps for that weekend, but I really think that a different team should be assigned to each contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy View Post
Thats the problem with lack of reps in the northeast.
There are more than enough KCBS reps within the geography of these contests. I think it's more of an assignment issue.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
That's my concern. I'm not sure how the travel logistics are getting worked out but the more I think about the less feasible the whole situation appears.

My understanding is they were assigned to rep the second contest after the untimely passing away of another rep earlier this year. Don and Nancy are members here and great folks but I'm not seeing this as possible and certainly not practical. I have no idea about the availability of reps for that weekend, but I really think that a different team should be assigned to each contest.

There are more than enough KCBS reps within the geography of these contests. I think it's more of an assignment issue.
A quick look at the KCBS website indicates to me that there are at lease 6 if not more local area reps unscheduled that weekend. Two of them are within 30 miles of Shrewsbury.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

Unread 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

The Muller's were at New Paltz (not working, just stopping by) and I talked to Don. He said they were specifically requested to do Cresskill which is a first year comp. They've been doing York for years. They came to New Paltz when they had the weekend off!!! I think they will run both contests just fine.

Also, how is this any different than a team that competes in a Fri/Sat and a Sat/Sun contest on the same weekend? That's allowed, isn't it? I personally do not see a problem with it. What needs to happen on Sat in Cresskill anyway? Meat inspection and Cook's meeting. Anything else?

Meat inspection -- All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer.

Meat Inspector does not need to be the Reps

Cook's Meeting -- Times may vary at any contest. Turn-in times will be confirmed at the Cooks Meeting.

This is the only mention of the Cook's Meeting in the rules. So looks like the Organizer can run the Cook's meeting and it does not need to be the reps.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
The Muller's were at New Paltz (not working, just stopping by) and I talked to Don. He said they were specifically requested to do Cresskill which is a first year comp. They've been doing York for years. They came to New Paltz when they had the weekend off!!! I think they will run both contests just fine.
Their ability isn't in question - it's a matter of logistics

Also, how is this any different than a team that competes in a Fri/Sat and a Sat/Sun contest on the same weekend? That's allowed, isn't it? I personally do not see a problem with it.
If a team doing a double header is late or delayed by traffic only that team is affected. The rep being late can affect all the teams.
What needs to happen on Sat in Cresskill anyway? Meat inspection and Cook's meeting. Anything else?

Meat inspection -- All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer.

Meat Inspector does not need to be the Reps

Cook's Meeting -- Times may vary at any contest. Turn-in times will be confirmed at the Cooks Meeting.

This is the only mention of the Cook's Meeting in the rules. So looks like the ORganizer cna run the Cook's meeting and it does not need to be the reps.
Like you mentioned, Cresskill is a first year event. Does not having the KCBS reps present to help guide the organizer on the first day of a first time event and not be present at the cook's meeting sound like a good idea? Are you OK with not getting your boxes until Sunday morning?

Lastly, If I was the organizer (and to a lesser extent the teams) who paid KCBS sanctioning fees I'd feel a little short changed if my reps didn't show up until midnight.

-----------------

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

Phil and Rosemary did it in KC this past weekend but they were only 45 min apart.