The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Reverse flow build ?

I was wondering if this tank would be good for a build? I'm not sure if the diameter will be good, from the looks of the pic.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/3949250680.html

I want a small reverse flow like the size of a Meadow creeks ts60 or a Lang 36 but that's not in the budget now.

I have a friend who can fabricate and he said he would help me with the build.

I also liked the small tail gate one that was posted here but it's $450 and $250 for shipping so I hoping with my friends help to able to make my own small affordable smoker.

Thanks
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Diameter looks pretty small but I think I saw a build here recently with a tank like this, $60 seems kind of pricey.
Here is a link to one recent build with a smaller tank; just to give you an idea.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=2579798

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
STCL01
Knows what a fatty is.

60 isn't too bad on the tank, if you were buying it to use as a tank. Look on the tank and see what the date the tank is good for. Tanks have to be retested for integrity every so often. Sometimes 5 years, sometimes more. If your tank is out of date nobody will fill it. Makes it worthless for a tank, and should bring down the price.

With that being said, you need to look up the diameter on a 100 # LP tank. I haven't done so. I am going to say that it will be about 18" - 20" from looking at the one I have standing in the garage. If that will work for you then more power to you.

If that is not big enough, or you even think that is not big enough, then save your pennies and wait. Building a smoker is a lot of work, and it's not cheap. If you sink a bunch of time and money into something it should be exactly what you want. That's the whole purpose of building it yourself in the first place.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the info guys.

When I smoke I usually only do one or two racks of ribs or one brisket or pork butt since I mostly smoke for 2 or 3 of us.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

JSperk, I built a reverse flow earlier this year out of a 32" long, 24" diameter propane tank. I like the bigger diameter. Gives some depth to the smoker.
I would have prefered it to be 36" long, but that was the tank I had. However, I think I would rather give up the 4" in length than diameter.

Anyway, check out my build post to see what the size looks like. Good luck with your build!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=163844

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Fat Cap
Full Fledged Farker

I have a similar tank laying around. I would think it is too small. If you could pull it off, I would love to to see how. Maybe I'll follow suit with another build of my own.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

I would look for more diameter. If you're going to put that much work into it start with something bigger.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I'm going to look for something like CtTradArcher has. That looks exactly what I'm looking for. I will try and find a tank anywhere from 32 to 36 inches or so with a 24 inch diameter.