The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pork Loin and Sirloin Tip on Kettle

This was my "birthday" party I posted about awhile ago. I'm selfish and wanted to celebrate my birthday in summer. We did about 5 lbs of pork loin brined for 36 hours with 6 cups water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, thyme, whole peppercornsm, and bay leaves. Seasoned with Kickin Chicken and pepper. Set up my Performer with my very first Snake Method Got about 12 coals nice and hot and started the snake with chunks of cherry on top. The snake cruised at 300 for about 6 hours total (much more than I needed) with the vents all wide open. About 2.5 hours later, I pulled it at 152 degrees. It's a little higher than I wanted, but got distracted and this is once again proof that temperature can't guide all your cooking. This was juicy, tender, and delicious, and looked good to boot!

Then did the Sirloin Tip. Great marbling, and one of the last cuts from a local 1/4 cow we got from a friend's farm a year ago. Seasoned with EVOO, kosher salt and whole peppercorns. Threw it on for about 2 hours. Only real problem was at that temp, the outter edges were at about 140 and the center was 110. Might have to do a piece this large on a lower temperature. Eidther way, pulled and rested, sliced sides and threw the center back on for just a bit, and I don't think any quality was really sacrificed.

Just as the sirloin was finishing up the crabs showed up. This is the most gorgeous sight you'll ever see!

Plated pic with a little homemade cherry pie and pasta salad.

Best part of the day was spending all week with my wife getting this ready, spending a full day with friends and family with good food! Can you tell my wife is a school teacher? She's more organized than anyone I've ever met, and one hell of a cook!

Thanks to all that gave me feedback to make this cook possible. I stole/was inspired by Tonybel's Pork Loin. Followed basic from this Sirloin Tip cook http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/v...hp?f=2&t=23614
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good food pretty wimen & cold beer I'd call that a party, Nice digs too.

Unread 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Stingerhook
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Great lookin food. And happy b-day whenever it is.

Unread 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
OxInYourBox
Got Wood.

Great thread-never heard of the snake method-will have to try that soon with my OTG.

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Grain Belt
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking chow! I love the simplicity of large cuts of meat smoked on a kettle for a party. It is amazing how many folks you can feed off of a 22 inch grill when it is planned out like you did.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks like a great party, the food looks looks fantastic! Happy Birthday whenever it its.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker